This might be a little early.....

Scott M

TVWBB Fan
So for the holidays (Christmas) I'm planning on smoking a turkey breast and standing rib roast. I'm concerned with putting one over top of the other and having drippings on the meat below. If I put both on the top (based on sizes I think they'll fit) I probably won't be able to use the turkey drippings for gravy.
Do you guys think there is anything I could rig to put under the top grate to catch the drippings and prevent them from falling on the turkey/rib roast?

I've actually done turkey under fresh ham on several occasions and never noticed any problem with the turkey. I don't try to catch the drippings for gravy either.

Scott,

I assume you'll be cooking both at the same high-heat temps (325-350)? How big will each one be? That will determine if you can fit them both on the top rack. The turkey will probably take longer, especially if you only take the rib roast to medium. You could suspend a disposable aluminum pan under the top grate with wire threaded through each corner of the pan. Choose a pan that is about the same size as the roast. At the same time, you can foil the water pan (no water needed for high heat) to catch the turkey drippings.

If the pan configuration doesn't work (maybe the turkey bumps into the pan), then consider cooking them at 2 separate times. I'd do the turkey first. Reheat to about 130 in covered aluminum pan with saved juices/additional chicken broth (to keep it moist) in the oven.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I will be doing both at the same time (high heat), probably for about a 4 o'clock eat time. Like the subject says, I know it's a little early but with my 2 yr old and 13 yr old boys, my wife's and dad's birthdays all before the holidays - one less thing to worry about, ya know.

I figured I could hook a pan under the top grate but didn't know if anyone had tried this to any degree of success.

Consider this: Take a disposable aluminum roasting pan,(one that will fit in the WSM) bend it to shape if necessary. Place a v-rack inside then place your turkey in that. Put the turkey on the top rack, the roast on the bottom. The v-rack will allow for heat and air to circulate around the bird, and the pan will catch all the drippings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Consider this: Take a disposable aluminum roasting pan,(one that will fit in the WSM) bend it to shape if necessary. Place a v-rack inside then place your turkey in that. Put the turkey on the top rack, the roast on the bottom. The v-rack will allow for heat and air to circulate around the bird, and the pan will catch all the drippings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes to that but just be carefull that the V-rack doesn't go through the foil pan. With the weight of the turkey and the gaps in the grate you'll have to set it up just right. I'd put something in the bottom of the foil pan for the 4 points of the V-rack to sit on. 4 can tops come to mind, say from like tuna fish cans or the like. But yes to Toms great suggestion on the V-rack and foil pan, problem solved.

duh - great suggestions Tom and Bryan.
I have a calphalon roasting pan with v-rack, but i don't know if it will fit in the WSM.
I'll check when I get home from work tonite.
If not, I'll get a disposable.

Thanks again for your replies guys. I knew I'd find some help here.

Back