This could work

Oh Boy Chuck, you got me fired up! I built a mini right after I joined the forum. Then I got an 18.5 WSM and the mini got put to the side. When I sold the 18.5 and got the camp chef I threw out the vasconia center section and put the Smokey Joe away.
The SJ mini was so much easier to use than the 18.5. Now just for color and fun I'm thinking of building another mini.
With the cart I built for the Jumbo Joe it would be a perfect fit.
I bet a lot of new members would really like to build one and learn about slow cooking and smoking. I know because of that 10 years later I'm still here.
Last night I was out in the garage seeing what I had left of the mini, one vasconia pot and I'm good to go.

What will you use for charcoal ring and water pan or diffuser?
I use a Teracotta Saucer from Home Depot. I don't use a charcoal ring, however I do have mesh over the bottom holes to keep them from plugging up. On longer cooks, you sometimes have to remove the "pot" (smoker) from the smokey joe, and shake the smokey joe a bit to make the ash fall through. You have to be fast about this, otherwise the charcoal will get really hot really fast

I use a Teracotta Saucer from Home Depot. I don't use a charcoal ring, however I do have mesh over the bottom holes to keep them from plugging up. On longer cooks, you sometimes have to remove the "pot" (smoker) from the smokey joe, and shake the smokey joe a bit to make the ash fall through. You have to be fast about this, otherwise the charcoal will get really hot really fast
I did the tuna can with holes punched in the sides near what was the bottom of the can.
The holes were just below the charcoal grate, actually the can just touching the bottom of the charcoal grate.
That gave me a solid eight hours of 220-250 cooking time before I had to tap the bottom of the SJ to knock the ash down a little.

Back