Third time is not always a charm...

Mikkel JC

Hi
I was firing up my wsm 18.5 last afternoon for some baby back ribs. This gave me some challenges - I was unable to get the temp over 190 - so I cooked the ribs in the oven the last hour and everything turned out all right although the onions in my beans could have used more heat and time.
I discovered that some water had found it´s way from the pan to the heatbeads so that was a lesson learned.
This was my third cook in the wsm - and I am actually glad that I had some challenges.
I also feel tempted to sell the 18.5 and buy the 22.5 instead - in this forum I have found a lot of inspiration on things you can do 'on the side' in wsm but the space in the 18.5 does not allow that. We are a family of 5.

The ribs:

I started making some homemade rub:
Homemaderub.jpg

Then rubbed the ribs:
rubbedribs.jpg

It was raining so the wsm was put in a rainsafe location:
Rainprotect.jpg

The ribs cooked for 3 hrs in the wsm and spent an hour at 225 c. in the oven and were ready to be served.
Doneribs.jpg

Do not forget the
Royal.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I don't use water, I use a clay flower pot base in the water pan. I find it gives much better temperature control, clean up is a snap, and the food comes out great.

I started with an 18 1/2" WSM last year, this year I picked up a 22 1/2". The extra room is a good thing. If I had to have just one, it would be the 22 1/2".

Good luck,

Bob

Every now and then the BBQ gods will slap you in the face just to remind you that you are human. Nice rescue though!

I am going to have a look at the clay pot. But first I have to pack my now old wsm 18.5 and ship it to the guy who bought it yesterday. Then buy the 22.5" :)

Back