Third Brisket Cook - FIRST Success (w/Pics)

Mike C.

TVWBB Member
This brisket was done on my One Touch Gold kettle. Thanks to the help from people at this forum I FINALLY got one right. This was I guess what you'd call a semi-high heat cook. Special thanks go to David Lohrentz and Kevin Kruger. To David for helping me realize it was ME and not my kettle! And to Kevin who took the time to break down the process step by step down to the finest detail. He also provided the rub recipe. I was also inspired by Tony Hunter's awesome looking pics!

img0845fe3.jpg

img0844ju6.jpg

img0839hf0.jpg

oh crap... your therm says you've gone well over recommended, well done beef! oh well.... i'de eat it..
icon_biggrin.gif
looks pretty good, wish I had the guts to do high heats brisks, but i figured I better stick w/ whats working for me if i'm satisfied. ....but damn, looks pretty good. -Dan

Nice looking brisket..How did it taste?
Dan he is right where he should be for a brisket? High heat brisket cooks are the best I have been cooking packers in 4-5 hours and they are some of the best tasting briskets ever.
Nice job!

def. perfect, I was joking around, at his therm. pic. I found myself laughing harder at these last two posts though.
icon_smile.gif
The brisk. is awsome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How did it taste? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was mighty tasty and my wife really liked it too. Nice smokey flavor, juicy and tender. I kept a log of the cook for troubleshooting purposes. I was pleasantly surprised it came out OK.

Here's the log:

Prep - Applied Kevin Kruger's "simple" rub but reduced the chili by about 1/3 and added some paprika. The brisket was an oddball 7.8 pounder with a good portion of the flat trimmed off. I got it because it was cheaper (i.e. less meat to ruin) I used 3 chunks of hickory.

- 1.5 hours into cook a windy storm rolled in. Temp was at 250-260 so I left it there because of the wind and it held for the most part. Pulled the kettle under the eave of the house.

- 2.5 hours - Pulled kettle inside garage because the storm wasn't letting up. There's not much smoke and I had a fan blowing out a crack in the garage door. Checked temp but it was at about 155. The grill temp had risen to about 285 during the storm but I had been keeping the temps probably too low for a good while before that.

- 3 hours - still not up to temp but grill is now around 300... A Maverick ET-7 remote thermometer is supposed to be here tomorrow and I can't wait. Gets old walking back and forth to the garage!

- 3.5 hours - Meat FINALLY up slightly over 160 so put in foil. Got grill to easily settle at 325. Will check again in 2 or 3 hours. Just kidding!
icon_smile.gif

- 4.5 hours - Temp had dropped to 300. It wasn't tender enough yet. Will check in 30 minutes.

- 5 hours - Temp was at about 275. I opened the bottom all the way and shuffled the coals. It's still not going up over 300 yet but there is plenty of coal to produce heat. I'm expecting it to be hotter next time I check. Still not tender.

- 5.5 hours - Temp still at 275. It seemed tender enough so I went ahead and pulled it. The foil was loaded with juice and careful as I was I still spilled about a half pint on my garage floor. Arrgh!! Brought it in and the instant read went to 205 then dropped back to 195 and stayed there. It sure smells good! I can't wait to see what's under that bark...

- 30 minutes later - Oh my! Oh my oh my oh my! I've only had brisket here in Lubbock and this is by FAR the best I've ever had. It may not be the best that can be done but this is REALLY good.

- While I was waiting I cooked up a baked bean recipe from Steve Raichlen's how to grill book. It's a sweet recipe and I added a bit of heat to it using my brand of BBQ sauce (Mildly Wild along with some Stubbs Spicy for good measure). It turned out pretty good actually. Maaaaaybe a tad too sweet. Maybe.

- I saved the juice which I'll add to some point chili which I'll make in the next day or two. There was about a pint of juice...plus what I spilled pulling it off the grill.

I just bought my first brisket at Sam's. Got a great fat cap and I was going to slow smoke it. Those pictures make my mouth water!
icon_razz.gif
Hope I can do it right the first time but I remember the first fried turkey I did, my wife said I could use it for a basketball! Really rubbery.(my screw-up). I have a WSM and a Stoker unit and have done some butts but know brisket isn't as forgiving. How do I fit that packer cut on the WSM??? Appreciate any suggestions
icon_smile.gif

Mike that is definately one of the best looking briskett's I have seen on this site. Great job, now I am inspired to give one a try. What a great smoke ring and she looked very moist as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mike that is definately one of the best looking briskett's I have seen on this site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! That's a huge compliment! I guess I overshot a little. I was just hoping it would come out edible.
icon_biggrin.gif

very nice lookin. the way you did it is close to how i do mine. i do it to an int temp of 196 or so. has always come out great for me. my time is usually around 9 or so hours but mine are usually bigger also. very happy for you and yer success. wasn't so bad was it ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">wasn't so bad was it ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference between having a good idea what you're doing and HOPING the recipe book is leading you down the right path is like night and day!

oh no, i'll try to clear it up again, your little therm says "beef, well done" or whatever and I just never seen a therm that has that writing on it. of course you didn't overshoot, I was just being funny cause the "BEEF" was around 170, of course briskits aren't good there
icon_smile.gif

Dan I understood your humor. According to that thermo the brisket should have been a block of charred crust. When I said "overshot" I was being funny too. My concern from the outset was just NOT to ruin another brisket with my kettle.

That's one of the best smoke rings I've seen in a long, long time, especially done on a kettle. Congrats!

(btw, Monterey High, class of '87 here)

Back