Thinner pizza crust.

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
I found a pizza dough recipe that I really like. The ones before it were pretty good too, but the one I tried in May 2020 I like more.

However, any pizza I've ever made the past 3.5+ years has always been a little thick. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make it thinner.

I let it rise for hours at room temperature, so it's already at room temperature.

When I stretch the dough, and remove it from its ball form, no matter how much time I allow, it never stays super think. No matter what I've tried, over the years.

Scroll to the bottom of this album to see what I mean:

I don't mind how it comes out. I do just want to learn though how to make it thin. Without changing the dough recipe. Since I like the last one, and want to stay with it. I'm tired of trying different dough recipes, over the years.

Is there just some technique with my hand, that I might not be doing?

You could try a rolling pin and roll it to like 1/4- 1/8" thick. Thin crust is what I grew up on and most pizza places run it thru a rolling machine.

Try cutting the dough ball in half. Maybe the issue is that you’re using too much dough for a single pizza? It also helps to let the dough rest a few minutes after stretching it out before stretching it some more.

I tend to make 14-15" pizzas. I've let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes, in between while stretching it. Doesn't seem to help too much.

So I'll start stretching it, then let it rest for 15-20 minutes, then continue. It helps some, but as seen by the end result, it's still not really thin.

You could try a rolling pin and roll it to like 1/4- 1/8" thick. Thin crust is what I grew up on and most pizza places run it thru a rolling machine.
Do you have a recommendation for a rolling pin? I have a basic one, but I never thought it was good. Seems too light.

Wow, I didn't realize those rolling machines were expensive.

I've seen others be able to do it without a rolling pin, but at this point I think I need to try something else.

This below, 2x, to get 14-15" pizzas.

But as I've also said, any recipe I've done over the past 3+ years, has resulted in the same thickness.

+++++++++

3 1/3 cup flour
1 packet of Yeast

1 tbs sugar

1 tbs salt

1/4 cup wheat flour

mix

add 2 tbs of olive oil while mixing

mix

heat 2 cups of water. Make sure it is warm / hot

add 1.25 cups of water to the dough. Add 1/4 of cup at a time. add until the dough becomes a ball

Arun,
This is the best pin I've ever used. Got it for my wife a few years back and it absolutely rocks.
The brand is Whetstone Woodenware. You won't be disappointed.

20201212_215131.jpg

Looks good. I will probably get a 19" one.

I do think that 1.5x the recipe, instead of 2x, might be enough for 15".

But since it was my first time making following it, it was easier to do the math with 2x.

But as I've also said before, any dough from any recipe I've made over the years has always resulted in about the same thickness.

The rolling pin idea at least gives me something different to try.

The various dough recipes I've used over the years have been more about trying not to get it too sticky, or too dry. This one seemed to result in the right texture, and was easy enough to follow.

So now for me, I want to learn how to get it thin.

You can get away with using less dough. If the roller does not work perhaps the finger pinch will. Tortilla press won't but maybe we can rig something. How much dough does that recipe make? In weight. I am thinking we need to try much less. And pizza dough experts here, is that too much yeast? The hot water add, that sounds like Chinese style pot sticker dough ish.

I'll try 1.5X next time, since I seemed to think that I could get to 15" by doing that next time. I like the quantity that 15" pizzas make so that's what I aim for.

Yes, I'll try the roller next time too.

I'll note down the weight too. I always use my weigh scale, when measuring flour or water for dough. But since it's been a while since I made it (May), I don't want to say the wrong number.

Question: Can thin pizzas still carry small pineapple pieces? Or will they make the dough too wet when I put them on? If they'll make them too wet, then I guess I'm better off making the dough the way it's been coming out.

Should be strong enough. Would pre baking the dough before the toppings help? I am not a fan, but it is frequently done. So one dough recipe per pizza?

Last edited:
I found a pizza dough recipe that I really like. The ones before it were pretty good too, but the one I tried in May 2020 I like more.

However, any pizza I've ever made the past 3.5+ years has always been a little thick. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make it thinner.

I let it rise for hours at room temperature, so it's already at room temperature.

When I stretch the dough, and remove it from its ball form, no matter how much time I allow, it never stays super think. No matter what I've tried, over the years.

Scroll to the bottom of this album to see what I mean:

I don't mind how it comes out. I do just want to learn though how to make it thin. Without changing the dough recipe. Since I like the last one, and want to stay with it. I'm tired of trying different dough recipes, over the years.

Is there just some technique with my hand, that I might not be doing?
I’m pretty involved with pizza making, there is a really good forum you can go to to learn. Let me start with some basic questions... Is this a same day dough? Post your recipe and techniques and can probably help you.

With my dough recipe I can pound it out as thin or this as possible, more than likely you are getting too much spring back that restricts you from stretching it out?

I never do a same day dough, we call those “emergency” doughs. I like to cold ferment mine for 48 hours, this allows proper fermentation and gluten. It will be a lot more flavorful and workable.

Arun...I add small pineapple to thin crust sometimes, and it holds okay.

Btw, are you finding the same dough rise effect indoors as well as on the grill?

I’m pretty involved with pizza making, there is a really good forum you can go to to learn. Let me start with some basic questions... Is this a same day dough? Post your recipe and techniques and can probably help you.

With my dough recipe I can pound it out as thin or this as possible, more than likely you are getting too much spring back that restricts you from stretching it out?

I never do a same day dough, we call those “emergency” doughs. I like to cold ferment mine for 48 hours, this allows proper fermentation and gluten. It will be a lot more flavorful and workable.

I think I've always done same day doughs, yes. Or at most, the night before.

I think your cold ferment 48 hour technique is what I'm probably missing. How do I do that?

Right now, what I've done is let the dough rise at room temperature for at least 3 hours. Unless it was done the night before.

While I have seen someone make thin pizza thin, using same day dough, I don't mind starting things a few days early. Several things I cook involve some kind of preparation a few days in advance, such as shopping or making marinades or brines.

Last edited:
Arun...I add small pineapple to thin crust sometimes, and it holds okay.

Btw, are you finding the same dough rise effect indoors as well as on the grill?

Thanks for the advice on pineapple. I think pineapple has become my favorite topping, in the past 1+ years.

Yes, whether I make pizza indoors or outdoors, it always ends up about the same thickness.

Should be strong enough. Would ore baking the dough before the toppings help? I am not a fan, but it is frequently done. So one dough recipe per pizza?

I baked the dough before adding the toppings the last time I made it, in May.

My goal for that though was to make the transfer from the peel, to the baking steel, easier. It accomplished that.

Since I make 15" pizzas, I did 2x of that dough recipe, per pizza. However after doing it, I think I could have done 1.5x that recipe and still gotten 15". The math was just easier to do 2x, so I did that, last time. I think I will try 1.5x next time.

Back