Thinking of refurbing my Weber 900

Eddie Monroe

TVWBB Member
This is my pride and joy:

IMG_0818.jpeg
It is my firm belief that this is the best grill ever made. I bought it new sometime pre-2000 (things get fuzzy that far back) and I have used it regularly since then. It has mostly sat on the patio year round uncovered for 25 years. I replaced nearly everything possible several times and now I’m planning to do it again but with some frame work this time. I refurbed a slightly newer model for my daughter a few years ago and essentially made a new grill for a couple hundred dollars.

The one thing that bothers me is the wear on the fire box.
IMG_0826.jpeg
This is looking up from below with the lower drip pan removed. You can see the burner tube and flavorizor bar. The gray jagged edge is the deteriorated firebox.
So there is significant corrosion underneath and one of the post for the holes that hold the rails for the lower pan is broken and poorly patched. Bottom line is the firebox(not the lid) needs to be replaced. I’ve been watching Craigslist and FB MarketPlace but have found one close enough yet.
so several questions…
How interchangeable are these boxes? What years was Weber making them?
if someone had a firebox in good condition is shipping something reasonable? What is a reasonable price? I don’t want to go crazy but wouldn’t mind paying a premium?
Or should I just stick to Craigslist?
Opinions? Comments?
Thanks,
Eddie

Well, if Eddie registered it when it was new maybe he has a shot.
I am the original owner but I probably didn’t register it and for sure didn’t keep the sales receipt. I think I do still have the original instruction book that came with it. I’ll have to go and look.
Btw, those are beautiful handles. I replaced the handle and side shelf once but it is due again. Woodworking was my pastime for many years,
Eddie

How about that… I did find the original manuals. Still in nearly new condition. The warranty says only 10 years for the aluminum castings. There is a date printed on the manual of “11/97” and I was thinking I bought it in 98 or 99.
So like most of my stuff (including my body) it is well out of date.
Eddie

I did the same with my 1998 gen 1000LX I bought new in 98 a couple of years ago. I figured as long as I was doing the rehab I would do some upgrades also. Found a Gen 2000 on Craigs list for $20 and also found a right side swing up table for it. Used the frame from the 2000. Really happy with the upgrades well worth the effort.

DSCN2765.JPG

I am the original owner but I probably didn’t register it and for sure didn’t keep the sales receipt. I think I do still have the original instruction book that came with it. I’ll have to go and look.
Btw, those are beautiful handles. I replaced the handle and side shelf once but it is due again. Woodworking was my pastime for many years,
Eddie
You can register it now with an approximate purchase date. Receipt doesn't seem to be a necessary item for them

How about that… I did find the original manuals. Still in nearly new condition. The warranty says only 10 years for the aluminum castings. There is a date printed on the manual of “11/97” and I was thinking I bought it in 98 or 99.
So like most of my stuff (including my body) it is well out of date.
Eddie
Does it specifically mention the cookbox?

I would register the grill. You don’t need a reciept.

The warranty in that time frame was 25 years or lifetime on the firebox.

If Weber covers the firebox, great. If not, you still have the benefit of the schematics which comes in handy if you need to order parts.

I have tried to registe it but I don’t know if I was successful. It didn’t like the serial number on the registration page but was happy with it on the parts lookup page. I sent an email asking to clarify if it is under warranty. We’ll see…
Eddie

You can call them. While calling Weber CS (customer service), I sent them a picture of the mostly illegible serial number on my SSP. Luckily, we could at least read the first two letters DD so that is what they entered and it shows up registered online.

Now it’s easier to talk about parts with CS and nice to see linked manuals, schematics, etc. Also knowing DD, I could get a better idea of when my grill was manufactured.

I got an email back from Weber customer service. My grill does indeed have a 10 year warranty on the cookbox. They will sell me a replacement for $250 + tax and shipping. The other online grill parts places want $350. As nice as a new one would be I think I’ll keep watching Craigslist. Plus there is nothing dangerous about the deterioration of the present one so I can just keep using it like it is until one comes along.
Is there anyone who collects these things and parts them out? Or just has extra parts around from previous refurbs? Those new prices make shipping cost seem more palatable.
I think I can get another 25 years out of it. Let’s see… I’ll be 98 then…
Eddie

If the cook box is the same as a 2000+ silver b/c or 2002+ gold it should be easy to find a complete grill with a good cookbox.

Back