thinking of Montreal smoke meat, someone talk me down

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
I've smoked a lot of stuff but not a lot of brisket. My kids asked me what I wanted for father's day and I suggested a whole packer with the plan to cure it with all of the spices and such and have it ready for july 1st canada day.

I know its a lot of work and am kind of apprehensive about it not turning out but this is likely the only shot I will get at it. this wont be the Brewburgers DDD version but the cure/smoke wrap/ steam/ rye/mustard version. Ive made quick pastrami from corned beef that turned out ok, and ultimately it might be easier and more productive to just have some MSM shipped to me for canada day.

Has anyone made the jump and just went for it ? Has anyone tried something out of their wheelhouse and despite the cost and prep the whole thing went south ?

No sense trying to talk you down. How about this, you go to Schwartz's in Montreal to have some there. Then you will have the standard to aspire to when you make yours.
Go for it!

I say go for it. Half the crap I try I've never done before. You'll never go on a journey if you don't take the first step.

Go for it and for a side make yourself a poutine and have a beaver tail for dessert. Are you a displaced Canuck?

Go for it and for a side make yourself a poutine and have a beaver tail for dessert. Are you a displaced Canuck?

Yes ( and I never liked beaver tails, both butter tarts and Nanaimo bars are far superior). And finding curd cheese is a chore

Back