thinking about getting a new TV

Bought a Sony 55' 4K smart a year ago. The power module (chip/board inside where the power cord connects) failed THREE times in one year. My new replacement is being shipped now.

The guy who repaired it the last time said he had replaced the same part on Vizios, Samsung, and others. They may be all using the same junk parts. They are apparently very sensitive to power changes; one failure did follow a power outage. It was plugged in to a surge protector, but I've now upgraded that to the Tripp Lite TLP1008TEL rated best by wirecutter review site. (I also learned the surge protectors "wear out" over time.)

We have a Samsung in the bedroom, and a relative has one in his living room, and the pics are great. I'd get another of those if starting over.

Last Friday I was coming up on the place where I bought my last tv ~10 years ago so I figured I'd go look at them in person..... I did, and they had the 60" samsung for $100 less than amazon....and I drove off with one & had it mounted an hour later.

The quality increase seems to be like going from a LCD or DLP rear projector set to a plasma or lcd panel (very significant). I'm surprised. I almost wish I'd have gone with the 65 but this thing's a monster in my front room already.... should be just fine for many years to come.

Upscaled 720P looks very nice...... everything seems to stream faster, & even youtube videos look much better. SD DVDs look a lot better too - especially the dimly lit scenes.

Couple months ago I bought a 50" Vizio "E" series 4K TV. I paid a tad over $500 out the door (sales tax is 10%) You get a lot of bang for the buck with Vizio

https://www.vizio.com/e-series

At your price you might want to check out the "M" series. Picture is better than the "E" series, and the sound is considerable better. I wasn't concerned with sound (I have a nice sound bar) so that's why I settled for the "E" series

https://www.vizio.com/m-series

Now you're good for another ten years. ;)

By then it'll be me, not the hardware, that plugs in (matrix)

Matrix-Neo-Wakes-Up-Pods.jpg

I recently purchased the Sony XBR-65X850D on sale at Best Buy. After doing the research (and with an eye to the future 4k) it was IMO the best buy for the buck. I have been very happy with it and if it lasts as long as my other Sony TVs, should be in business for many years to come.

Back