thick cut pork loin chops

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
I picked up some thick cut (1.5")boneless pork loin chops at Costco. What is the best method to avoid dryness with these? My past attempts when grilling them have turned out flavorful but kind of dry. I had been searing then slow grilling indirect to 170 deg. Can they benefit from brining? I have also tried braising them. That turned out pretty tough.

Brining will make a marked difference in the moisture. Head over to the section on brining and you will see several recipes.

I have started brining my pork loins and it has made a huge difference.

I finally started brining after CI did a feature on thick-cut loin chops.

Also, 170? is much too high for a finishing temp. Take them off around 140-145?, tent in foil and let sit for 5-10 minutes. I also prefer to grill these over high heat...400? instead of slow smoking.

The best way to achieve tender , juicy pork chops is to avoid overcooking. 170? is too high an internal temp. A hint of pink in the middle is not a bad thing. I prefer grilling to slow-cooking for chops. I use a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat and get consistently good results.

Steve

Stuffing pork chops is another way to introduce moisture to the chops, grilling and lower finishing temp as the others have said is the key.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back