ThermoWorks Billows

I was having a little trouble with temps and finally started using the "dog bowl" manifold from my old Pitmaster IQ 110 instead of a single vent hole. It seems to have helped keep things a little more stable. Here is a recent cook, the Billows kept the temp within a 10 degree window for 18 hours. The top vent was cracked open about 1/8" or less throughout.
That’s good to know, I run my billows through a 1 1/4” hole that I drilled and made a damper for. Works perfectly

Attachments

• 4BAA767F-C53C-4614-BE5D-36CCCD6E6D1F.jpeg
    4BAA767F-C53C-4614-BE5D-36CCCD6E6D1F.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 7815BF99-9C4C-4E3F-A0B9-941CDC649056.jpeg
    7815BF99-9C4C-4E3F-A0B9-941CDC649056.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 46
They just came out with a damper for the billows.

I ordered one although mine ran fine at 250 without it. This might allow me to run 225 if I wanted.

They just came out with a damper for the billows.

I ordered one although mine ran fine at 250 without it. This might allow me to run 225 if I wanted.
This kind of pisses me off, because I just bought a billows a couple weeks ago. I was also on the phone with their staff asking why the gasket is not attached to the billows. He told me they are working on a solution, because the glue they were using melted.

They should be sending these out for free, even though mine still held 225 no problem

This kind of pisses me off, because I just bought a billows a couple weeks ago. I was also on the phone with their staff asking why the gasket is not attached to the billows. He told me they are working on a solution, because the glue they were using melted.

They should be sending these out for free, even though mine still held 225 no problem
My 2nd one arrived like this too, their only suggestion was to use a high heat adhesive.

My 2nd one arrived like this too, their only suggestion was to use a high heat adhesive.
Yeah he hinted at that but I could tell in his voice they didn’t know what to do about it. I hate those stupid springs, they work but I’ve had them snap back on my fingernails a couple times already and it hurts lol.

They need to make a mounting system for this

My Billows and SmokeX4 arrived today for the 18 WSM. Picked up the damper and the battery as well since I don't have an outlet nearby.

Think I'll try another corned beef to try this weekend.

I'm not sure if I actually want the real answer, :oops: but did I need to buy the battery or would any USB-C battery pack work?

My Billows and SmokeX4 arrived today for the 18 WSM. Picked up the damper and the battery as well since I don't have an outlet nearby.

Think I'll try another corned beef to try this weekend.

I'm not sure if I actually want the real answer, :oops: but did I need to buy the battery or would any USB-C battery pack work?

I tried a USB-C battery with my smoke X4 / Billows and it did not work.

The smoke X4 indicator on the base unit showed that external power was plugged in, but the base unit did not enable the fan.

And, note that on the X4, the air temp probe must be in slot 4.

I haven't taken the time to measure voltages to pins on the wall adapter edit: but it says 12V on the adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes me feel better on spending $80 on the thing.

It is a 12V, which is higher than an Anker or whatever.

Yeah, I saw the price for the battery, and it's high, yet it is turnkey.

I use an extension cord as for me it isn't that far from an outlet.

I also have an inverter and usually have an extra car battery to run it should my power be out. I bought the inverter to run my pellet smoker and it will easily power the smokex4+billows.

I do need to get a car jumper/charger.

Picked up one from HF but it didn't work of course. Wouldn't hold a charge at all.

I recently got my Signals replaced because snow seeped in. The old Signals would not power the fan at all when hooked up to a generic USB-C external battery. The new one does power the fan, but only at a very slow rate (because it’s only drawing 5V). I am tempted to buy their 12V battery, but it’s just so expensive. Think I’ll hold out for a good sale.

Well, after the winter we had, I wanted something for both my WSK E6 and WSM 18.5 that would allow me to stay inside a little longer at - 40 C. So, after some inquiries and a really good deal… I caved and bought the signals (lime green is my jam) and the billows. I‘ll use the Signals and probes more often for larger cooks, but the billows won’t deter from the hands on experience I‘ve come to enjoy on both grills / smoker.

625FC9C4-EBA5-47B6-9A73-A0BA3E245C37.jpeg

I ordered this yesterday, I wanted a new probe as my smoke only has 2 channels. And with the 20% off I just bought the Signals and The bellows. I also splurged for next day in the hopes I can use it for friday's overnight smoke.

Call me a very dissatisfied customer. This is my 4th attempt at using Billows. I had it on for over 5 hours trying to get it up to 275° and never got it past 236°. Finally, about 20 minutes ago I gave up, turned off Billows, opened the vents, and now I'm hanging around 260°.
I really like Signals, especially after having given up on Smoke — they claimed it could link to your phone, maybe in their offices but not for me. In the end, Billows is a full-fledged waste. Oh, if you're curious, it's 91° outside right now so it's not as if I'm trying to run this in the middle of winter.

Call me a very dissatisfied customer. This is my 4th attempt at using Billows. I had it on for over 5 hours trying to get it up to 275° and never got it past 236°. Finally, about 20 minutes ago I gave up, turned off Billows, opened the vents, and now I'm hanging around 260°.
I really like Signals, especially after having given up on Smoke — they claimed it could link to your phone, maybe in their offices but not for me. In the end, Billows is a full-fledged waste. Oh, if you're curious, it's 91° outside right now so it's not as if I'm trying to run this in the middle of winter.

I'm a bit confused...you say you "opened the vents" and it went to 260...is that with the vents wide open? A temperature controller only really works in an environment where you can create a back pressure where a situation like opened vents would exceed your desired temps.

Sort of like having brakes and a gas pedal when your car never goes as fast as you want with the pedal 100% down all the time. (Bad analogy...but best I could think of).

Also..how were your vents set when you had the billows on?

Gary.

Tell us how many coals you lit? My guess is too few. When using an atc, you don’t need to worry about a runaway fire. Billows instructions say half to 3/4 chimney. I use maybe 10-12 coals when going manual. And spread the coals around. You don’t need to minion with an atc.

And your vent settings? Should be all closed on bottom and top vent 15% or less.

Try that and the billows will work great for you.

Last edited:
With Billows I don’t close off the intake vents until WSM is at my target temp, then I fire up Billows. It does a good job at maintaining that target temp once reached. But if the intake vents (or exhaust vent) is closed down from start Billows will struggle to reach higher target temps.

Hope that helps some

With Billows I don’t close off the intake vents until WSM is at my target temp, then I fire up Billows. It does a good job at maintaining that target temp once reached. But if the intake vents (or exhaust vent) is closed down from start Billows will struggle to reach higher target temps.

Hope that helps some

That is the recommended method from TW, for what it's worth. Which I of course ignored.

Sorry you had a bad experience, Gary. Jim C had some good questions, hope we can help.

I do the same. I bring up my grill to the ballpark temp I am looking for, then fire up my signals/billows, set up my desired temps on my phone, completely close the grill lower vent, set the upper vent open a sliver, and set the damper on the billows open about 1/4 ways.

Back