Thermoworks Billows and WSM18 stability problems.

Nothing but a $4 stainless steel dog bowl with a hole cut in it attached with a wall anchor. I had an old Pitmaster fan and used the one that came with it, then made another one.

Attachments

• dog bowl.jpg
    dog bowl.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 37
Instead of the flue tape they provide to cover the unused holes where the billows attach, does anyone have a better idea of what can be used that can come on and off as necessary?

The reason I ask is as a few have suggested to not set the billows up until the smoker has gotten up to the desired temp on its own. To do that best, you wouldn't want to cover any of those vent holes initially.

I was thinking some 3/4" high temp silicone plugs which are supposed to be good up to 600 degrees but looking for other ideas if anyone has them.

Instead of plugs, why not just close the other vents with the wheel when needed ...
That's how I have them and have done so since December 2011.
First when using Rock's BBQ Stoker and now the Billows.

Instead of plugs, why not just close the other vents with the wheel when needed ...
That's how I have them and have done so since December 2011.
First when using Rock's BBQ Stoker and now the Billows.
I was talking about the other 3 holes on vent you attach the billows to

I was talking about the other 3 holes on vent you attach the billows to

Got it. Misunderstood.
NOTE : I use a Dog Dish, just like Scott, above.
All of the vent's holes are covered by the dog dish and used as openings for Billows airflow.
This is how it worked for the Rock's BBQ Stoker, so I kept that arrangement, as have others that used the Stoker.

Last edited:
Got it. Misunderstood.
NOTE : I use a Dog Dish, just like Scott, above.
All of the vent's holes are covered by the dog dish and used as openings for Billows airflow.
This is how it worked for the Rock's BBQ Stoker, so I kept that arrangement, as have others that used the Stoker.
Yeah, that's pretty much a permanent attachment though, correct? I'm looking for something I can easily open up all 4 holes in the vent to natural airflow and then switch over easily to using the billows, so thought of this idea.

I do keep my dog dish installed, but that isn't required. One could modify whatever attachment they're using so the dog dish can be easily removed. For me, I keep the dog dish attached but remove the Billows when not in use.
Never had an issue in the almost 11 years it's been attached to the WSM. Have been able to cook everything from smoking bacon to pepper stout beef. Hope that helps.

Back