ThermoPro TempSpike

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Do you guys that own the ThermoPro Tempspike, do you keep it plugged in between uses?

I was just wondering since I don't use mine all that often. Therefore, I need to charge it before I use it and sometimes I forget so I was thinking maybe I should just keep it plugged in. Just not sure if that is a good thing for sometimes 3-4 months between uses.

Tough deal with ISU and the NCAA tourney. They never really did dominate their opponents, so I figured when they got to quality competition that they might get bounced.

Before the season started, there were alot of people thinking that with the talent that was lost from last year, ISU wouldn't make it to the tourney, so I think they finished way above expectations. It's pretty hard to dominated anyone in the Big 12. :) Looks good for next year, but we will see.
I haven't had my TempSpike for very long, so I'm not sure about charging it or how long it will actually last.

I have one I got for Christmas, only used it a few times. But with most lithium Ion they'll hold a charge for quite a while just sitting in the booster. My Ring batteries go for months before I swap them out and the batteries that have been sitteng have maybe 50% left.

I was going to ask a question about my Temp Spike, guess I'll ask it here. Is there an issue inserting it into say a thick steak from the side so it goes all the way to the line without damaging the head of it from the closeness to the grill. I recall seeing a pic somewhere before I got it of someone putting a piece of foil on the grill under the portion stick out of the meat, but no explaination.

I would say that if you can ensure it won't touch the grate, you will be fine.

One weird thing is, LiON batteries are so touchy about temps. (too hot/cold) How do they survive being placed in a hot grill?

Yah, not sure Larry, but ThermoPro is not the only outfit that makes those kind of therms. I am sure they won't last as long as the regular kind of remote therms, but they do seem to be fairly durable. Mine didn't die during a cook. I used it last Thanksgiving and that was the last time I used it. Then when I pulled it out Sunday and charged it, it would no longer connect to the base. I don't know if that is a battery issue or electronics or what. But, it doesn't seem like it was directly heat related.

Back