ThermoPro Lightning less than $35

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Really cannot beat this deal. This is a quality instant (really instant) read thermometer directly competing with the Thermoworks One.
If you grill without a thermometer, you should start. No more guessing.
I have several instant read thermometers to include the Thermoworks One. This is the one I seem to use on a continual basis however. You just can't beat the value of these at $35. if the link below doesn't give you the full sale price, use the Promo code: 30RXHI12

231019 Lightning.jpg

I love mine. I have the Thermapen One, too, and honestly think the main differences are whether you prefer the Lightning's bright red read-out (better in dark) or the Thermapen One's light gray (better in bright light) which also flips not one, but two ways. The other difference is all about "feel." I have said before that the Thermapen One is like a fine Mercedes sedan - sleek, solid and well made. The Lightning, to me, is more like a Land Rover SUV - classy and well made, too, but ready for more rough and tumble. I say that based on the very different grips they have and how they feel in your hand.

I regularly use both of these thermometers. If you will allow my off-the-wall comparison, I suspect if you like the Benz sedan you would vote for the Thermapen One and if you would rather have the Land Rover, you would prefer the Lightning. As far as quick temps, some online comparisons have shown their responses to be virtually identical.

Well, maybe because it is a lot less pricey, but I personally really like it. Just different from the Thermapen One which I like as well. I like the grip and the overal design of the Lightning and the bright LED readout. The probe folds away better than on the Thermapen One.

They are both excellent thermometers that happen to have very different appeals. Of course, price is important, too. That's where I think ThermoPro obviously makes their major inroads. But I will also acknowledge that for some, only the Thermapen One will do. Personally, I like swapping back and forth :cool:!

I will stick by my Land Rover comparison. The grill on that Discovery has the same style as the Lightning!

Interestingly, I think the main reason I primarily use the Thermopro lightning most of the time is that it is soo handy. It has a magnet on it so I can simply stick it to the side of the microwave near my deck door where my Q grill is, when not in use. I don't have to dig through multiple drawers or piles of stuff on the table to find it. It is always right there in a convenient spot out in the open. I think a magnet on the Thermoworks One would be a good upgrade with little added cost.

Good point, Bruce. I keep both of mine out on top of a shelf in my "grilling corner" so I didn't think of that. A lot of people appreciate the magnet feature, so it is surprising that Thermoworks doesn't use them. I suppose one thing is that it would take away a little of that "sleak" feel that the Thermapen One has since it would have to be thicker.

You can buy a Silicone Boot for the One that has a magnet.

I keep my Mk4 in the original packaging in a drawer upstairs as my wife uses it quite a bit. I did buy a Thermopro Lightning to keep downstairs in my grilling drawer but have not used it yet. I only paid $26.98 for it in a lighning deal so can't argue about the price had some points the final cost was $11.98.

I have 3 ThermoPro. units. I keep one the cheapy (orange one with backlit LCD) out by Big Z, the first one I bought, red with red led (I think it's the model right under the Lightning) is on the side of the Member's Mark and the Lightning on the range hood,

I missed the deal on the thermopop 2for. Want to support thermapen buy a but pricey.
Still have to. It is very frustrating when your old therms are not working.

Interestingly, I think the main reason I primarily use the Thermopro lightning most of the time is that it is soo handy. It has a magnet on it so I can simply stick it to the side of the microwave near my deck door where my Q grill is, when not in use. I don't have to dig through multiple drawers or piles of stuff on the table to find it. It is always right there in a convenient spot out in the open. I think a magnet on the Thermoworks One would be a good upgrade with little added cost.
10-4. I keep my Thermopro (not a lightning) stuck to the side of the fridge, in plain view when I walk out the back door.

Bob: THe real benefit of this method is only realized if you get in the habit of sticking it back up there when you are done using it. I have gotten in the habit of doing that and not just laying it down somewhere or sticking back into a drawer. If anything, I keep it in my pocket until I am ready to deal with it and then it goes straight to the side of the microwave.

Back