Thermometers

Because they can? I used to use a Polder probe thermometers, then remote probe thermometers like the NuTemp and Maverick. I even had a temperature logging thermometer that would record temps so I could upload them to my computer and chart them. Over the years, I've given up on all that stuff and keep it simple, just a lid thermometer and a Thermapen that I use to check meat temp occasionally. For me, simple is better. But if someone wants to instrument their cooker with expensive thermometers and that's what they enjoy, I'm all for it.

Regards,
Chris

Yeah, I'm good with simple. I may pony up the $90 for the Thermapen. How rugged are they in the real world?

Because they can? I used to use a Polder probe thermometers, then remote probe thermometers like the NuTemp and Maverick. I even had a temperature logging thermometer that would record temps so I could upload them to my computer and chart them. Over the years, I've given up on all that stuff and keep it simple, just a lid thermometer and a Thermapen that I use to check meat temp occasionally. For me, simple is better. But if someone wants to instrument their cooker with expensive thermometers and that's what they enjoy, I'm all for it.

Regards,
Chris

I had the original version and it was great. Gave it to a friend when I got the new version. It's been great, too. I would highly recommend a Thermapen.

Regards,
Chris

Van.
Check the back of the turkey fryer therm. Most of the ones I use have a nut on the stem for re-calibrating.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll look at it today.

Thanks Chris, Seems like you can use the Thermapen for meat as well.

Like Chris..I have had an assortment of expensive thermometers...I finally gave up and once a year around the holidays I buy a couple cheapy digital meat
Thermometers..I use a turkey fryer therm in my performer that I have had for 10 years...yep simple...keep it easy! I don't get ****ed any more when my cheapo's die and I have plenty of back ups!!

I do like the glow in the dark grill therms I have seen out there!

Yeah, I'm good with simple. I may pony up the $90 for the Thermapen. How rugged are they in the real world?

Van, they are not that rugged, but maybe I was hard on it. It has a circuit board inside so drop it and you may need to get it serviced. I used mine in a commercial setting, competitions and backyard use. I had to have it serviced twice at around $20-$25 each time. I started using a DeltaTrak which is a couple seconds slower and eventually gifted away the Thermapen. At $20 and with it’s magnetic cover the FlashCheck is a permanent fixture on our frig. The DeltaTrack was also left out in the rain and still works.

The DeltaTrack along with a Maverick to monitor the kettle and WSM are all I use.

Last edited:

Back