Thermometers

D Brazil

TVWBB Member
Ok I'm sure this discussion has happened many times before but I gotta ask. Thinking of buying a food thermometer, the best I can tell there are 3 types? 1st is the kind you put in your meat and it stays in while you smoke, 2nd is the kind you push into the meat as you cook and it gives you a reading quickly (thermopen) and the 3rd would be the kind that you put in the meat and it has a probe wire going outside the smoker that indicates the meat temp and can also (with a seperate probe wire) indicate the smokere temp.
The 3rd type seems like something I would like because looking at the Maverick it will send the information to a monitor. My concern was where is the wire coming outside the smoker? Are these reliable? are they durable? what if they get rained on? I'm assuming it routes between the lid and the middle section of the WSM ?
Anyone have any opinions of these or experience/reviews of the products that are out there I am all ears. Thanks so much!

Welcome to the group.

"wire coming outside the smoker?"
THIS SECTION talks about thermometer installations. A Maverick (if not just placed under the lid) would fall under Middle Cooking Section Probe.

Many newbies find the bbs section of tvwb but don't always get to the MAIN SITE. Many answers to questions can be found there.

"Are these reliable? are they durable? what if they get rained on?"
Reliable - yes, somewhat
Durable - Treated nicely they will last awhile.
Rained on - Avoid. A little water won't hurt much. Many secure a plastic bag around the units.

Here is some reading on the - Maverick and Rain

Back