Thermometers issues on new WSM's

Corey S

TVWBB Fan
Hey All, AS EXPECTED, the original equipment thermometer, supplied with my 2010 22.5 WSM, is innacurate, and very erratic...

I never expected to rely upon the supplied OE thermometer, And in that respect it did not dissapoint!.. however I like the look of the supplied bezel, and therm ! And I do like to, at a glance see what the dome temp is, as that serves as a pretty good gage of what the actualy grill level temp probably is! (-25 degrees or so)

Does anyone else wish that Tel-Tru Manufacturing, made a replacement thermometer that would be a direct fit to the existing chrome bezel on 09 and up WSM's ?

Maybe if enough of us here expressed an interest in such a thermometer, Tel-Tru might take note, and "supply the need" with a Quality Temperture indicating device, that would look and fit like the original ! (actually, it does not have to even look like it, just have the same dimensions, and fit the bezel)

What do you guys think?

I think it's easier to buy a nice Tel-Tru and simply insert it in one of the top vent holes.
Portable, you can also use it when grillin' with your Weber kettle.
DSCN1511.jpg

icon_biggrin.gif

Jim, I agree there are definate merits to having a portable therm. that can be used on any of my Q's...

But that still leaves an essentially useless OE therm in place' that just bugs me!.
I guess I am just too technical, I expect something to work as it was designed, and to do so accurately, within reason.

To me it is kind of like the door. Sure it functions reasonably well as is, but it looks cheap / cheesy, compared to the rest of the unit. I ordered the stainless steel door for my WSM, before it was even delivered. Now the door Looks & Functions great!
That is what I want for the thermometer, currently it looks great, but functionally the OE therm. is worthless... Again, that just bugs me !

I just wish Tel-Tru would make a direct replacement for it.

Im with corey on this one ,it bugs me to **** that it isnt accurate ,,so i,ll put my vote towards teltru making one to fit ..

IMO the current location on the WSM lid mounted therm will read the same as any aftermarket therm that you buy to replace it. ( unless your Weber therm is not calibrated correctly) Or you change the stem length.

Tim

Timothy, Basically, my issue is the inaccuracy of the Original Eguipment therm., not the lacation.
I have three similar Weber thermometers, I believe they came from Genisis Model gas grills, (I believe they read up to 500) I have two of them mounted in the lids of my 22.5" Kettles. They look great, but are not worth a darn for a reliable temp reading.
Now I have a new 22.5" WSM, the thermometers and the bezel appear almost identical to those I acquired from Genisis models, (except of course for the lower smoking temp range).. And all of them seem to be innacurate to a large extent, and it is not just that, they are erratically innacurate, sometimes they are close to an accurate reading, then 15 minutes later, any one of them can be off by as much as 50 degrees, when other, known to be accurate thermometers are stiil holding a steady reading!

Corey.
I can't comment on the OE therms, (I don't own any) but I did install a Tel-Tru W/ a 4" stem @ about the same location,on my 08 WSM.
Depending on the amount of meat that is loaded on, my temps can also be 50-75 deg different compared to my ET-73 pit probe @ cooking grate, or dropped into the top vent.
That's why IMO the location (and the amount of mass) will give you different readings.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I don't own any of the newer WSM's with the bezel, but can the bezel be removed without additional holes or slots being exposed?
For my WSM, performer, and kettles, I've removed the rivet that holds the lid vents and placed Tel-Tru's in it's place. The rivet removal process can be a pain and the hole needs to be enlarged for the Tel-Tru, but I find it's well worth it since it works great.

Originally posted by timothy:
Corey.
I can't comment on the OE therms, (I don't own any) but I did install a Tel-Tru W/ a 4" stem @ about the same location,on my 08 WSM.

Tim

Thinking of retro fitting my 05 WSM 18".
I see many different stem sizes for the Tel Tru. Is the 4" working good for you or you suggest another size (and which model you get)?

Thanks

Chad, Yes the bezel can be removed, and there is simply the one hole in the lid to attach the bezel/therm. The stock thermometer sits inside the bezel, it is all held in place with a wing nut on a threaded shoulder, by the temp probe.

In the interim. Until Tel-Tru happens to decide to make a replacement that fits the bezel. I will probably just go ahead and get a Tel-Tru BBQ therm, and just mount it in the existing hole, without the bezel, and then I will try to shut up, and be Happy about it!

Originally posted by Corey S:
In the interim. Until Tel-Tru happens to decide to make a replacement that fits the bezel. I will probably just go ahead and get a Tel-Tru BBQ therm, and just mount it in the existing hole, without the bezel, and then I will try to shut up, and be Happy about it!
Bezels, we don't need no stinking bezels!
icon_cool.gif

I'm sorry to here there are so many bad OEM thermometers on the WSM. Mine seems to be quite accurate -- it reads about 10 or so degrees lower than my oven thermometer on the top rack.

Originally posted by Wayne_R:

Thinking of retro fitting my 05 WSM 18".
I see many different stem sizes for the Tel Tru. Is the 4" working good for you or you suggest another size (and which model you get)?

Wayne. I got this model.
Its a nice looking hood ornament, but that's about it for that location IMO. I still prefer and trust the way that I started out, and that was is placing a removable therm into the top vent.

Tim

I have a new 18.5" WSM.
I got the Maverick ET-73 at the same time.
I cooked 2 5 pound pork butts for my second cook and noticed that the difference in the lid Thermo and the Maverick grate thermo varied wildly.
The grate temp was at times up to 31* hotter than the lid temp (grate271/lid 240).
At other times The grid temp was much as 11* colder than the lid temp(grate239/lid250) and everywhere in between throughout the cook.
I figured that something was wrong and last night I checked my thermo's using boiling water and then with ice water.
Results:

Boiling:
Thermapen 211
Maverick food probe 213
maverick grate probe 213
WSM lid thermo 215

Ice water:
Thermapen 32
Food probe 33
grate probe 33
WSM thermo doesn't go that low.

My results stumped me as I was looking for either my grate probe or WSM lid thermo to be way off. Instead, I got what I would consider very good results.

I am new to the WSM and do not know if I could possibly have a wacky lid thermo or if this is somehow normal. But, I thought I would share my findings.

Like Jason I have the Maverick and a replacement hood thermo, the original wouldn't go above 200. Both are great in boiling water but the hood thermo varies widly in actual use with the Maveric. I think that the only reason to have the Weber hood thermo is to fill the hole in the hood.
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by timothy:

I still prefer and trust the way that I started out, and that was is placing a removable therm into the top vent.

Tim

Thanks Tim. That is what I do now. So I'm going to have to consider the retro or not.

Thanks for the info

Jerry, Sorry I have not been here on the BB in a few days.
No, as of yet I have not tried the boiling water test on my OE therm.
I have judged it based on the accuracy of two other thermometers that I have used in the past while smoking on my Weber Kettles. These two thermometers have been very trust worthy and dependable in the past.
Furthermore, previous to getting the new WSM, I installed similar Weber thermometers (with grilling temp scales up to 700 degrees) on both of my Kettles, (I actually have three such thermometers, only two in current use) All of them, are wildly innacurate !...
That is why I started this thread off with the "As Expected" statement.
Now, on my second cook, it did not seem as erratic as it did on the first cook, it was consistantly lower by 20-40 degrees from the trusted thermometers!...
I will probably go ahead and give them all the boiling water test just to see, when I get the time of course!

Well,

Mine passed the boiling water test, as I said, but it is still all over the place on the cooker.
So, I'm not sure that passing/not passing the boiling water test will prove much.
I am going to keep an eye on mine and see if it comes out of it. Maybe it's just the way it is.
It just seems odd that the difference in grate/lid temps would fluctuate so much and vary so wildly.

Back