Thermometer?

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
Hi folks,
Well I will just start out by saying I really love this stuff and am really getting into it. problem is my thermometer situation. The WSM lid thermometer is approx. 30 degrees off. I have been putting my digital wireless meat thermometer in the lid vent. but when time comes to put the thermometer in the meat I have to guestimate the lid thermometer. Not that hard but a pain in the A$$. So my question is what do you all recomend for a good thermometer set up. I would like something that can do the cooker temp as well as something that can do several meat temps without having to open the lid. Am I asking for to much or is there a product out there that will fill the bill?
I looked at the grill guru, But I dont think I need a fan and all that mess after I saw how well the WSM performed last night!!
Thanks for your help!!

Maverick ET-732.
Remote thermometer with air temp and meat temp probes. Has temp alarms, great range around your house and yard and you don't have to run out and check temps.

I liked it so much for BBQ I ordered a second one for multiple grill cooks and to use indoors for roasts in the oven.

Buy it from the link on this board under shopping and send a few cents in to support the board.

buy via this link to help virtual bullet

Tanner,
The Maverick ET-732 has two probes: one for meat and one for pit.

Maverick does sell some single probes but the ET-732 is pretty much the standard on two probes. There's competitors but the 732 seems to be the most popular.

Unless you want to run the probes through the top vent, you will need to modify your WSM to get the probes in the cooker. You can see how people have done this on this website under the modifications section.

I have a bbq guru so I don't need a 732. But, if I didn't have the guru, I'd get a 732.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004IMA718/tvwb-20

P.S. If you decide to buy something through Amazon, don't forget to go through this website.

awesome!!!! thank you very much. I just looked at the pic from the link. It looked like one probe. My bad. Thanks

Maverick ET-732
Just a conflicting opinion but I'm not a huge fan of -anything- "Maverick". I own a couple of them (including a Maverick Pro-Temp Commercial PT-100 Thermometer which I keep forgetting to toss in the trash) and so far I've not been impressed. The problem I've experienced (and judging from reviews on Amazon I'm not the only one) are with the probes shorting out. I've had this happen to me twice, both times in the middle of competitions...So my frustration level with Maverick is pretty high at the moment.

Currently I use Tel-Tru BQ300's mounted in the lids...no a lid mount doesn't give me "grate" temp but it gives you a good baseline and it's ****ed accurate. My only advice would be to go with the 4" probe over the 2.5" probe, as I've had numerous (and well documented I might add) problems with the shorter probes "sticking" at 200 degrees... Since Tel-Tru identified the problem and exchanged all three of my shorter models for the longer probe models I have not had a lick of a problem. I DO use an inexpensive "wired" probe thermometer for keeping track of internal meat temps but given my luck with the Mavericks I only use this style of thermometer to get me "in the ball park". When it comes down to nut-crunching time, I rely on the venerable and virtually bulletproof Thermo-pen.

Not saying other people haven't had good luck with the Mavericks or that they are universally evil..I've just been bit by them enough that I'm a little gun shy.

I have a Maverick and just received my Auber today. Plan to use both at the same time. Redundant systems, I know I'm anal about this stuff but anything worth doing is worth doing right, or so it is said.

I've got three Maverick ET-7 dual probe thermometers and have good luck with them. I did ruin a set of probes many years ago by getting them wet while cleaning (soaking) them. Lesson learned.

You can just run the wires under the lid or drill a hole in the side of the WSM to run the probes and wires through. Some guys mount grommets in the holes but I didn't.

I just run the probe wires under the lid no problem. I was clipping the pit probe under the top grate but far away from the cold meat as possible but not too close to the edge so I don't get a false reading from the heat coming up....

Just put it in the same place all the time and go for the "temp" that gives you best results.

And don't go crazy because one therm doesn't match other. I've calibrated all mine in ice and boiling water then stuck them in the WSM and get different readings.

I do think the remote probe dangling in the vent or clipped inside gives more consistent readings than a lid therm. The lid therm has a little 2: probe and it's bolted to a giant piece of metal (lid) that is in the sun, breeze, snow, rain etc and it does affect the indicated temps.

I really believe some have become overly sensitive to temps here and there. I know what the temp is at the lid and this is all I need to produce good Q. Lets not make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Hey folks,
Well I did two mods today, handles and the lamp grommet through one of the existing holes. Super simple to do without any extra holes. Was no problem drilling the half inch hole through the existing hole or the grate holder. Now I have handles and a temp probe hole. Thanks for all of the info and I agree with the over concerned about the temps. I know I worry about it all the time. Probably too much. Lol

I haven't broken out my wireless thermometer in >2 years.... ever since I drilled a therm into the lid of my ~2006 WSM & OTP. I just watch & check with an instant read when i think it's getting ready.

I think the wireless thermometers are helpful while you're getting the hang of it though.

Clint I appreciate the response. I wish I could do that, but I am definitly a temp watcher. after my first overnight cook on the WSM, I am getting much much more confident. I hardly watched it at all today with the chicken... But its still comforting to know... LOL

you have to know what's going on behind the scenes before you can totally relax I guess. I just find it impossible to mess anything up on either my kettle or wsm, even if I'm sidetracked for an hour.

The wireless therms are cool, I used to monitor them very carefully - now I lean towards higher heat, don't really care where it runs but I pay attention and adjust my expectations. If someone is coming late & we want to wait I'll close a vent. Speed it up? crack a lid. You're in good company here. Enjoy!

I have an ET-7 and a couple of ET-73's that I used to use all of the time. When i was using them in competition's, I would sleep right next to them and would constantly look over at them to make sure everything was fine. I got a couple of Guru's, and now I have no trouble sleeping at a contest, and the temps are right where I want them! If you opt to not get a Guru or a Stoker, get an ET-732, they're worth the investment.

The only time I really use my lid therm's is when I'm smoking beans or anything else that I don't need to be too exact on.

I used to have a PT-100, boy what a waste of money that was! I ended up giving it to my brother who doesn't smoke and rarely grills, he thinks its great!

Good Luck!

Back