Thermometer

KevinM

Hey everyone,

Quick question. I picked up a thermometer today at Target for my first brisket smoke. Inserted it into the brisket, closed the lid and walked away. An hour later I go out to check on the smoker and the thermometer was reading 130 degrees! I then tried and ran the wire through the open vent on the top and the temp rocketed up to 180s. It would seem that the thermometer is reading off the wire rather then just the probe. Is this normal and I'm just not using it right? Or should I take this one back and get a Polder?

Thanks!
Kevin

I agree with Steve. Your temps don't add up. I just got my Thermopen in the mail today. I can't believe how nice a thermometer can work. It really is worth the money. If I would have known how quick and accurate is, I would have bought one about 100 overdone steaks ago. I was very skeptical about the price but based on what everyone on this forum was saying, I went ahead and called the company and ordered one.

Troy

Your digital probe thermometer can't read off the wire-- the sensor is in the very tip of the rigid probe. The Polder brand is not necessarily your solution-- I would see if they have a Taylor you can exchange it for. On the outside chance the unit you're having a problem with is a Taylor, it's recommended that you test whatever unit you have by immersing the tip of the probe in boiling water and seeing how close to 212°F it reads.

The first thing you should do is check the thermometer. As Doug said, 212º in boiling water - just the end of the probe. Don't get the end of the probe where the wire goes in wet.

If it checks out, I'm thinking you just need to position the probe in the meat better. You may have had it touching metal or something when it read 180º.

While you're waiting for that water to boil, order a thermapen. It seems like a lot of money for a thermometer, but considering how good it is and how long it lasts it's a bargain. It really takes just about all the guess-work out of doneness.

Steal my grill and it just gives me an excuse to get another one. Steal my thermapen and it's on.

Back