Thermometer Questions and Response from Weber

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the hardest part of installing a thermometer in the WSM? Putting a hole in the dome, of course.

Rather than a factory-installed thermometer, I'd like to see a knock-out in the lid that would allow easy, tool-free installation of a therm in the dome.

The thermostat for my single-zone A/C house is in the den but I'd much prefer it in the master bedroom or the living room. However, I don't look at the compromise inherent in selecting a location for it and see that as an excuse to not install one at all. Imagine if home builders said "there's no conclusive agreement as to thermostat placement, therefore we won't install one at all."

Sure, ideally a house would have multiple zones and a thermostat in every room, some rooms more than one. Likewise a smoker should have at least one thermometer at every grate, maybe one by the fire pit and possibly multiple thermometers at the grates since the center tends to run cooler than the edges. But clearly the darn thing should have at least one thermometer somewhere, and the WSM does not come with one at all and that's a glaring omission.

It would have taken all of a copuple extra dollars to pop one in the lid or the side perhaps between the grates.

Jason-
The two previous smokers I bought had thermos. One was a junk thermo to satisfy people's need to know what the temp was, and the other was placed in a terrible spot which made it inaccurate by as much as 60-70*. I'm not saying the cooker doesn't need a therm. But I am saying that I'd like to reserve the right/option to put in the thermo that I want in the spot that I want it (otherwise, I'm likely to have a hole in my cooker that I don't want).

OK, now that I've read all the pros and cons of the why's and wheres of thermometers, I'll ask the stupid question....... whats the best way to check the accuracy of a thermometer? Pull it from the unit and stick it in boiling water? Does anybody know how being in the Mile High City will effect the temp that water boils at?
By the way, I cannot begin to tell how much I enjoy this forum! You Guys and Gals are awesome!
Thanks for all the great tips, advice and stories.
I get a little bit better each time I BBQ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:
[qb] I just use the polder probe through the potato method for accurate grate temp. Works great for me!

Although a nice dome therm coming standard would be nice, too. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And furthermore, I believe that that a nice thermomter should come standard in every potato.

I'm writing the State of Idaho about this now. I'll let y'all know when I get a response. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back