Thermometer Location

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keith, nice ASCII art /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ..... looks like Bill answered your question, I couldn't have cuz I don't have my eyelets yet or a Polder .... For my part, I ordered the eyelets today hoping my ET-73 (still en route) probes would fit through.

If they don't I'm prepared to cut the probe wires, pass them through the eyelets then use crimp connectors on the outside of the WSM to rejoin them.

You should probably also be prepared to buy new probes... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, the ET-73 probes do fit throught the eyelets. In fact I think Bill Hayes has both the ET-73 AND the Guru probes through the same eyelet.

Correct me here if I'm wrong, Bill

Pretty close, Tom. I have the Nu-Temp 701 and have only put 2 probes through each eyelet for fear of pinching a wire. Before installing the eyelets, I had 3 NT probes and both Guru probes through 1 hole ~ Tight fit, though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

What type of material are these eyelets made from?
Are they Stainless?
Ive been running my probes through a bracket hole for some time now, and have been concerned about weight at times (being short one bolt) so I really like this concept.
Thought I should ask before I purchase, as I have access to alot of SS, and work in a tool and die machine shop, and could make my own.
But for $8, Id just as soon order if they will last.
Thanks.

Right now I only have one of the eyelets installed. I put 4 probes through the one eyelet (2 guru, 2 ET-73) but the fit was pretty tight. I guess I'll have to install the 2nd eyelet. Do those that have 2 eyelets installed have them on the same bracket?

Mine are both on the same bracket. Back several months ago I asked if they were strong enough to put both on one bracket, and here's the reply I got from Bill Hayes:

"Hi Larry,
I asked Fred that same question back when he was getting ready to introduce them. They are more than strong enough to carry the load any way you install them (2 on the same bracket or 2 side by side on the same grate), according to Fred. Let us know how it goes."

Larry and Jeff,

Here's a pic of how I've set mine up. I haven't loaded mine up in this configuration yet, butt I don't see a problem. Like Larry said, Fred assured me that the eyelets are more than ample to support the load this way. I wouldn't go dropping butts on the grates though /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Take care,

Minor coarse deviation...out-of-the-box...maybe.

Is there a reason why we keep referring to the bracket holes for these eyelets? I drilled a hole for a thermo in the lid, why not one or two of my choosing for these eyelets. Aside from the obvious of having more holes in the side of the WSM...

Keith,

The tool that swages the eyelet back is about 3/16". I'm not sure you would get a good swage unless you add a piece of SS approx the same thickness of the bracket on the inside of the WSM. Someone else may know better, though...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Larry and Jeff,

Here's a pic of how I've set mine up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
I guess my old eyes are having trouble seeing your setup from the picture. Do you have both eyelets on one bracket? (the one on the right).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Actually, there are 4 eyelets in the pic /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. That's why I was having trouble seeing a difference /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
So you don't have any trouble extinguishing the coals with all those holes in your WSM?

When I cook butts, I'm using just about all of the fuel and sometimes a little more. For ribs, I use about 1/2 ring full and let the rest burn out. Shotgun Fred had an idea about putting a little foil in there ~ Guess that would work /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I've plugged the unused hole with foil and it works very well to keep smoke from seeping out during the cook. When I'm finished cooking, I usually remove the body of the smoker from the charcoal pan, and set the lid directly down on the charcoal pan (a holdover from my Brinkmann Gourmet days) to extinguish the coals. I've never tried just closing the vents, but I suspect the eyelet holes wouldn't keep the charcoal burning even if you left them open.

I too highly recommend the Guru eyelets, should be about $8 with shipping, but it comes with 2 eyelets, so I shared the cost with a fellow WSMer. I fit 2 ET-73 probes in it, as well as my E-Temp pit probe. With all three in there, there's still room to insert an instant read thermo for double-checking pit temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back