Thermometer Boiling Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason M. Park

TVWBB Super Fan
I just tested the thermometer I rescently purchased. On the bioling water test, it registered no less than 270 degrees! I was careful nt to touch the pan with the probe.

Is this one a dud, and should I get a new one? OR should I just subtract 55 degrees from the reading to get an accurate temp?

Thanks, Sam. I took back the offending thermometer and got a new one. That one was "Johnny-on-the-spot" at right around 210-215.

I installed the new one and cooked up 2 slabs of ribs, using (almost) the BRITU recipe. Turned out awesome!

It seem the manufacturers of thermometers would stick there product in bowling water before they stick them on the shelf for sale? /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Would it be more accurate to test a thermometer in ice water, instead of boiling water. Water "boils" at different temperatures depending on your altitude relative to sea level I thought.

Yes, testing a thermometer for 32*F is more accurate in the sense that it's not affected by altitude. However, many thermometers don't register below 50*F on the dial, so it's no help. Even with thermometers that register that low, I still like to test at the boiling point, which is closer to the barbecue temperatures I'm interested in.

For those interested in testing at 32*F, see Testing Thermometers For Accuracy.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back