Thermapen

Steve Mayer

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning on getting a Themapen soon.

Does any one have the thin tip, super fast thermapen? Is the tip fragile? Any problms?

Steve

Just got one. My first one did not work correctly, but they replaced it. Pretty good customer service.

The tip works fine. No problems. I like the super fast read out. As you move the probe through the meat, you can see the change in temp. I'm likin' it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Every cook needs a thermapen.. they are awsome.. i got three of them ....one for me and sis and mom.. they all love it...it gives exact temp in record time...mine broke after a few months ( i was broke it by mistake) well they fixed it for free neways....get it!! its a worth while purchase

I bought one this past spring - next to my WSM, it was the best investment I've made for my BBQ endeavors. Get one - you WILL NOT regret it !

Steve,

I have the thin (and sharp) point Thermapen.

Watch out for the sharp point, I've managed to stick myself twice!

Consider buying the yellow colored model - makes it easy to find in a drawer or cabinet.

-Albert

Ron,
They say they take 4 seconds to read, but for all practical purposes, it basically reads instantly. It's faster than any other thermometer by far.

I've used one for more than two years and it has been great. You can make many test stabs in a few seconds and then put it in your pocket. It is best for solid or liquid temperature, not the best to test air temperature. Be careful of the tip, I too have stabbed myself a few times.

this is my number one item on my christmas list this year.

I love the fact it has such good range - -50 to somewhere like 575 degrees. this will be good for testing temps in candy making too...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Sanchez:
Steve,

Consider buying the yellow colored model - makes it easy to find in a drawer or cabinet.

-Albert </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a yellow one about a year ago. Yellow is great, I can drop it in the grass and still find it in the dark, lose it in the snow and it shows up. Plus everyone knows yellow is always faster
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M. Watters:
It is best for solid or liquid temperature, not the best to test air temperature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it suitable at all to give you an idea of the temperature of a pan that has only trace amounts of liquid (oil, butter) in it?

I would like to have a thermometer that can help me get the temperature of the crepe pan right (without thrashing the first crepe), as well as measure the temperature of a small amount of caramelizing sugar in a pan.

Thermoworks also sells a combined IR thermometer + thermapen, but it comes with the standard, 10 second probe instead of the 3 second quick probe. The IR would help with the pan issue, but I would loose the awesome speed.

So I'm trying to figure out the right trade-off... Any opinions?

Themopens are designed to go into something. but if you want to test surface temp of a crepe pan pour a little water or oil into it as you're heating it; next stick your Thermopen in and get a reading. Dump the water out and replace it with a thin veneer or oil or, if you tested the pan with oil, dump almost all of it out when you hit your temp and fire away.

Welcome to the board, Tamas.

I scored an IR thermometer from the "Specials" section for peanuts. And I will eventually invest in a proper Thermapen
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help!!!

Back