Thermapen battery

One of the secrets of fasteners is to use a tool that fits the fastener as closely as possible. This stinkin' little coin cell covers are frequently designed to use a coin (go figure....) to twist open the cover, you have to match it as closely as possible to avoid "camming" out the slot. BTW, this is really not limited to the Thermapens. Gunsmiths have a vast array of screwdrivers to fit the utter myriad of screws used over the years. I'm always figuring out if I'm looking at an SAE or a metric fastener during vehicle maintenance.

My ThermoPro is easy. AAA batteries, Phillips head screw (stainless) and gasketed cover and it even came with the screwdriver

I just used mine tonight and looked at the 'coin slot' on the back, after replacing the batteries a couple months back. The slot is a little worn, but nowhere near where I'd call 'stripped'. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's because I baby mine a bit. I guess I'd suggest what Dan did and give it a try or two, then get in touch with Thermoworks.
My classic thermapen died this AM while temping a loaf of bread right out of the oven. I also got lucky, I was able to open the slot, wiggle out the two batteries, and replace them, and all WITHOUT bunging up the spring and wires.
Just lucky.

same thing happened to my old classic. Thermoworks makes it look easy with a quarter.
I think stuff gets dried up over time and seals the silicone washer.
After stripping mine with a quarter I used a 1/2 wood chisel.
That bit in good.
I called thermapen over a year ago as I was having a hard time removing battery cover. Can't remeber the details, but tech said to wack it on the countertop, of course it opened right up then. Tried it again today but no luck. Think I was not doing it right. So I went online to search answers. I tried the wood chisel and it worked. Put a little die-electric grease on seal, worked it open and close a bunch of times,,,,,think I'm good to go

Back