Thermapen battery

Dan L NY

TVWBB Member
My thermapen just let me know that i need to switch out my battery’s. Before I destroy this thing is there a double super secret way to get the battery cover off!?! I started with a quarter moved on to a wide screw driver abd stopped with a butter knife! Im assuming others have had this problem.

Attachments

• FC517574-FB11-4326-9FE4-63B2A70A56BE.jpeg
    FC517574-FB11-4326-9FE4-63B2A70A56BE.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 8
My thermapen just let me know that i need to switch out my battery’s. Before I destroy this thing is there a double super secret way to get the battery cover off!?! I started with a quarter moved on to a wide screw driver abd stopped with a butter knife! Im assuming others have had this problem.
Fixing link...

I just replaced mine a few months ago. Thought I used a quarter, but perhaps I had a terrible time with it and have flushed that from my memory.

same thing happened to my old classic. Thermoworks makes it look easy with a quarter.
I think stuff gets dried up over time and seals the silicone washer.
After stripping mine with a quarter I used a 1/2 wood chisel.
That bit in good.

I had the same problem with my older Thermapen (and another issue). I got a partial credit to return mine, and got a new one. I agree with Tim, there is probably a design/material flaw with the way the older ones seal up around the battery that makes that cover hard to get off, but at least the newer ones are different. My new one has a phillips head screw holding the battery cover on and uses a aaa battery. I'm not touching that dang thing until the battery is dead, and hoping that the cover comes off easily when the time comes.

Oh good another PITA I can look forward to dealing with, like I don't have enough to deal with already.

With the benefit of zero hands on experience with this, I wonder if you could maybe work a bit of silicone grease into the space around the cap and then melt it with a hair dryer. Let it sit for a while to work its way in and then give a try with a quarter, or maybe a really big screwdriver. Might also help to wrap a bit of tape around the tip of the screwdriver so it fits snugly in the slot and will be less inclined to cam out.

At least it ‘lets you know’ when it needs a new battery.
Their Timestick Trio (triple timer) doesn’t. When the battery is on its last legs, it lets you set a time, it counts it down, and then all the displays go blank, and without sounding the alarm. My wife now sets a second timer just in case.
I called customer service, they explained the unit is not defective, it just needs a new battery.
But it gives no advance notice of that.

I managed to open my first Thermapen without tearing it up too bad, but I broke the battery clip that holds them down. Like nearly everyone else, I bought a replacement, just recently in fact

Experimented with mine just now. The cover did open but with a mighty push and twist. Thankfully no damage to the coin slot. It appeared as though some sauce had leaked in between the gap. Not much, but enough to add some resistance to any cover movement. I cleaned the gap in the body and the coin cover edge with some isopropyl alcohol. Cover is still stiff to open, but does so without the mighty push and twist needed before.

Last edited:
Got’er open i doused it with some Seafoam and let’er sit. Grabbed a large flat head and worked the cover off……..saweet!!!

Pulled batteries replaced with new and metal battery holder went slinging through the air now she is toast!!!!!😡

Attachments

• 343ABBEB-68E5-4077-8481-40131BF5F52C.jpeg
    343ABBEB-68E5-4077-8481-40131BF5F52C.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I love ThermoWorks products -- I have at least a dozen -- but they really need to work on accessibility to the batteries. One of the cheaper thermometers I have has to be disassembled to replace the battery and there are very delicate wires connecting the top to the body. I ruined it trying to change the batteries. That kind of thing is ridiculous. On something as expensive as the Thermapen it's really inexcusable.

Got’er open i doused it with some Seafoamband let’er sit. Grabbed a large flat head and worked the cover off……..saweet!!!

Pulled batteries replaced with new and metal battery holder went slinging through the air now she is toast!!!!!😡

Email thermoworks support and see what suggestions they have.

I just used mine tonight and looked at the 'coin slot' on the back, after replacing the batteries a couple months back. The slot is a little worn, but nowhere near where I'd call 'stripped'. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's because I baby mine a bit. I guess I'd suggest what Dan did and give it a try or two, then get in touch with Thermoworks.

The new One and MK4 switched to AAA’s a nice upgrade! Now I’m tempted to go mess with my original but nah!

Back