The 'What else do ya cook on it?" thread...

Tim Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
This seems to get asked quite a bit, and has left me scratching my head a few times also... So...

What do you cook up on your smoker other than 'traditional' BBQ?

I'll be glad to kick it off:

I'm getting into Charcuterie, and have my first stab at bacon curing.

You name it. Meatballs, leeks, tomato's, onions, mushrooms, clams, mussels, tuna, salmon, pretty much everything and anything! Cured meats are definately a winner, especially sausage. Bread also comes out nice.

Clark

Ribs and kraut, polish and kraut, baked casseroles like lasagna, mostaccioli, tuna and noodles, mac and cheese.

Heck.. pretty much anythang you can make in an oven, the WSM will give it that little extra somethin!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I do meatloaf quite a bit, as well as cheese. As Timothy said, anything you can do in the oven can pretty much be done just as well, if not better, in the WSM.

Bacon, Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Italian Sausage and those tomatoes!! I'm with Dave and Clark on doing roasted tomatoes.

This year we had a bumper crop of tomatoes, so I smoked them for ~1hr, then transfer them to a large cookie sheet. I sprinkle on granulated garlic & onion, a little salt & sugar, then drizzle them with olive oil and roast them in the oven for ~ 2 hrs @ 325 degrees. They're ready when the exposed edges start getting black.

Here they are, double decked, on the smoker:
IMG_0208web.jpg

The result is like candy - rich, concentrated flavor, the edges slightly charred (as in caramelized sugar) and about 20% of the original volume.

We pack em in containers, freeze, then enjoy them with crackers & cheese (any kind), or with pasta, during the short days of winter.

A bonus by-product of this is "tomato oil" which has a flavor that is "to-die-for" on salads.

I just picked up some pork butt for $.88/lb, so next up will be my first attempt at Buckboard Bacon. Looking forward to it.

That tomato pic is great! Never thought to do that with them.

Lately, i've been doing some super high heat grilling with the charcoal basin and a grate. Fully lit chimney of coals, poured into the charcoal chamber like you would to smoke, but then just put a grate on top of the charcoal ring. Did some venison loin on it last night, came out awesome. Its great to have the grate that close to the coals to get that ultra hotness. Loins were AWESOME. Rubbed with soy sauce and Texas BBQ rub, put the heat to 'em for about 5-6 mins and rested 5, mmm...

Fantastic photo Bruce!!
I've done tomatoes also, very VERY good!
The BIGGEST surprise I've smoked was cabbage... now I don't care for cabbage too much... sauteed is good and raw cabbage I'll eat... but cooked cabbage? No Way!
But I read about smokin' it so I gave it a shot and I now LOVE IT!!!
Did a large <span class="ev_code_RED">RED</span> cabbage, bored a 2" hole about 2 and a half inches deep opposite the core. Mixed softened Wisconsin butter with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, fresh ground pepper, paprika and just a dash or two of Cayenne pepper (for no good reason at all). Wrapped it all in foil with the buttered cavity open.
I used apple wood for smoke at 225' to 250' for nearly 4 hours.
Rested for 30 minutes or so then cut wedges and sevred with bbr's and baked russets.

Chinese smoked tea duck. delish. The traditional recipe is to smoke very briefly for flavor (usually in a foiled and lidded wok,then the duck is steamed), but if you smoke it in the WSM, the results are amazing. Less fatty too.

Thanks for the great feedback on the tomatoes.

I pack them tightly in 1 lb/ 500g plastic tubs to freeze.

This is how they look when they come out of the oven. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos at that time, but here are some of them showing varying degrees of doneness.

Even the blackened ones have incredibly intense flavour.

SmokedRoastedTomatoes2009web.jpg

The plate is about 4" in diameter and I added a sprig of dill to show the scale.

During the winter, when Roma tomatoes are on sale, is also a great time to do this.

Bruce,

I know a you've gotten a lot of questions about your tomatoes, but I'm so curious I need clarification.

What temp? How long? And how do you catch that "tomato oil"? I can't wait to try! Thanks for helping.

Those tomatoes look amazing! I'm also intrigued by the tomato oil. Sounds yummy! I bought a 1 1/2 lb sirloin steak yesterday. I've done a HH smoked sirloin before. Todays is gonna be low and slow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bruce,

how do you collect tomato oil?
I did some oven roasted tomatoes in late summer.
Good stuff, but missed out on the oil.

I could be wrong but I think the "tomato oil" Bruce is talking about is this, from the recipe in the cooking section.

"Smoke-dried tomatoes can be packed into sterilized glass jars with or without sprigs of fresh herbs, covered with extra-virgin olive oil, and stored in the refrigerator. The olive oil becomes infused with the smoky tomato flavor and is just delicious."

Glad to see that there's a lot of interest in doing tomatoes this way.
I must admit that the first time I tried doing these, I was concerned that they wouldn't turn out OK.

To clarify the stages:
1. Slice tomatoes lengthwise into almost equal sized pieces. Smaller Romas may be halved, while large tomatoes may require being cut into ¼'s or 1/6's wedges. The idea here is to have their cut edges exposed and for the batch to cook evenly. Pack them tightly on oiled WSM racks.

2. Smoke for ~1hr @~225?in the WSM (I use alder and that time was just about right for the amount of smoke I like on the tomatoes). I did one batch that was smoked for ~3 hrs and it was just too much smoke for my taste.
icon_eek.gif
This stage is the first photo posted.

3. Remove tomatoes from the smoker and transfer to a large sheet cake pan (the one I use is 13"x18"x?"). It's important for the sides of the pan not to be too low, to better contain the oil and juice of the tomatoes as they cook. This is different from the Smoke Dried Tomato recipe that Don is referring to, because they're removed from the WSM and roasted in the oven, following smoking.

4. Pack tomatoes tightly, skin side sown, with their edges touching but not overlapping. Sprinkle with granulated garlic, granulated onion, salt and sugar (which helps in the caramelization and balances the flavour).

5. Drizzle Olive oil (or Grapeseed oil) over all the tomato surfaces until the bottom of the pan is covered with about ?" (or ¼" if you want extra tomato oil).
icon_cool.gif

Note: Be careful not to pour too much oil in the pan, because the tomatoes release their own juices which may cause the pan to overflow into the oven.
icon_eek.gif
Don't ask me how I know this.
icon_cool.gif

6. Place pan on a rack in upper/middle of a 325?F oven for ~ 2 hours. Our oven is convection/electric, so YMMV with other types of ovens.

7. Check after 1½ hrs to see if the edges of the tomatoes around the perimeter of the pan are beginning to <STRIKE> blacken</STRIKE>, uhhh, caramelize
icon_wink.gif
(At this stage, there should be no "tomato juice" left in the bottom of the pan, only oil.)
Remove the caramelized tomatoes from the perimeter and pack them in layers in your container of choice (I use those clear plastic tubs that guacamole or olives come in).

Don't worry about draining all the oil off the tomatoes as you remove them from the pan. As you pack them down in the container, oil will fill in the gaps and help to protect them in storage. Packing them flat, in layers, at this stage makes it easy to remove them later. If some are quite "blackened" just sandwich them between a layer of less-blackened tomatoes above and below (they will soften and rehydrate in storage).

I don't use mason jars because they're too narrow to get into when trying to pack, serve or remove the tomatoes.

8. As your remove done tomatoes from around the edge of the pan, transfer the ones from the center to the perimeter so they'll caramelize quicker. Return pan to oven for another 15 - 20 minutes.
I find that I only have to do this once or twice per batch.

9. Once all the tomatoes have been removed from the sheet pan, there should be a good layer of smoked/roasted tomato oil left in the bottom of the pan. Simply pour this out (from a corner of the pan) into a bottle that will be easy to pour from and will fit in your fridge door.
icon_wink.gif

Hint: If you make bread, use the pan for a batch of foccacia (with some of these tomatoes diced and incorporated into the dough). The tomato/oil will be infused into the bottom crust, giving it a remarkable flavor.

As an alternative, you can just draw lots to choose who will have the right to "lick the pan clean".
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

10. Find a nice cheese (like Cambozola, Beemster or ........well, you'll figure out what's going to work here), uncork a full-bodied Shiraz and serve with rice crackers, melba toast or those flax/sesame crackers I recently found at Costco. Ummmmm........
icon_biggrin.gif

These are also great diced-up and tossed with Alfredo Sauce, which can be served with your favorite pasta... or diced-up and added to a garden salad with fresh tomatoes.
icon_razz.gif

HTH, Bruce

The missus doesn't think they sound good,but to me it sounds yummy. The sirloin I did was excellent! It went a little more done than I would have preferred,but still good.

Back