The Weber Era Seems to Be Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
I think our small group is probably not enough to influence a megacorp.
They want to sell a Million, not 150..
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet our group influences sales with more than just the models we buy. People who know you grill/smoke ask for your opinion.

I have advised my neighbor (2 kettles and wants a 22" WSM)), boss (WSM and OTG), mother (Spirit gas grill), and secretary (WSM for husband) on grill and smoker purchases in the last three years.

Weber can thank this board for all those sales (plus my WSM, OTG rotisserie, and gasser).

I would not have bought my WSM and started it all if I had not found this board when googling for ways to smoke a good brisket. After reading here for a weekend, I ordered the WSM and gave away my Brinkman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
If Weber doesn't closely monitor this site for input, it's their loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Weber does monitor these discussions on occasion. The WSM 22.5" that came out in 2009 was greatly influenced by input from people on this forum asking for a larger smoker, built-in themometer, larger water pan, etc.

Regards,
Chris

Here in Canada the regular Performer is $349 and the non gas assist model is $299. I was figuring it was going to be a lot cheaper for the newer model without the gas assist......apparently I was wrong! Way too expensive for the non-gas model IMO.

I'd like to see a picture of the grill Gary saw - has it been verified that it was the newer OTP? If so, then should maybe notch that model as a "swing and a miss" for Weber - can't hit them all out of the park. I think the quality of the performers, one-touch silver/gold, WSM's that I've seen in the store all seem to still be of the same high level of quality I've seen throughout the years - certainly of a higher quality than many of their competing brands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Thomas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
I was thinking that they were removing the gas assist from the Performer for liability purposes. I could see some, (pardon my bluntness) idiot leaving the gas on and causing some kind of injury or fire. But if they are going to sell 2 similiar grills, one with and one without then I have no idea what is behind the marketing strategy.
The pricing had better be good or else the sales will plummet.
And Home Depot still needs to get their act together.. (had to throw that in.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think their intent is to eventually discontinue the Platinum. That grill has not been a big seller for them, in fact it's been a real dud so far.

The price of the Performer w/o the gas assist is $279. Why on earth would anyone even want to buy the Platinum when you can get the Performer w/o the gas assist for just $30 more? That is an absolute no-brainer.

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with your point, but have they stopped to think about the REASON the Platinum isn't selling?

It's 250 freakin dollars. They are in lala land if they think the reason it's a dud has anything to do with the design of the grill. It's all the price.

The Platinum basically took two of the biggest drawbacks of the OTG out of the picture (wimpy legs and no table space). Had they priced it appropriately (about 40 bucks more than at OTG) they would not be able to keep them in stock. Instead, however, they shoot for the moon and price themselves into "a dud" on what would otherwise be a pretty nice grill to have. (By the way, at 250 bucks they DEFINITELY should not have bolted on the handle.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Thomas:
I was thinking that they were removing the gas assist from the Performer for liability purposes. I could see some, (pardon my bluntness) idiot leaving the gas on and causing some kind of injury or fire. But if they are going to sell 2 similiar grills, one with and one without then I have no idea what is behind the marketing strategy.
The pricing had better be good or else the sales will plummet.
And Home Depot still needs to get their act together.. (had to throw that in.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think their intent is to eventually discontinue the Platinum. That grill has not been a big seller for them, in fact it's been a real dud so far.

The price of the Performer w/o the gas assist is $279. Why on earth would anyone even want to buy the Platinum when you can get the Performer w/o the gas assist for just $30 more? That is an absolute no-brainer.

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with your point, but have they stopped to think about the REASON the Platinum isn't selling?

It's 250 freakin dollars. They are in lala land if they think the reason it's a dud has anything to do with the design of the grill. It's all the price.

The Platinum basically took two of the biggest drawbacks of the OTG out of the picture (wimpy legs and no table space). Had they priced it appropriately (about 40 bucks more than at OTG) they would not be able to keep them in stock. Instead, however, they shoot for the moon and price themselves into "a dud" on what would otherwise be a pretty nice grill to have. (By the way, at 250 bucks they DEFINITELY should not have bolted on the handle.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There's talk around the Weber water cooler of renaming it the Anthony Johnson Edition or AJ for short. They should really sell then shouldn't they?
icon_biggrin.gif

SHaun said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's talk around the Weber water cooler of renaming it the Anthony Johnson Edition or AJ for short. They should really sell then shouldn't they </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that runor, maybe they will make it a bright banana yellow? Lol..

SHaun said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's talk around the Weber water cooler of renaming it the Anthony Johnson Edition or AJ for short. They should really sell then shouldn't they </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that runor, maybe they will make it a bright banana yellow? Lol.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about Arnold Johnson rather. I like Arnold better.
icon_wink.gif

It's all done to save costs. It's amazing enough that the kettles are still made in the USA. Weber needed to update their image and reflect the modern tastes of the customer. otherwise they just wouldn't stay profitable.

Many Of the grills on the market have whiz bang features like the Stok like from hd. Great features on paper but poor execution. If they really wanted to maximize profit they would just move manufacturing overseas and cut the warranty quietly. The market overall won't care as long as the price is right.

Webers product design company is also to blame. Choi Design in Chicago designs most of the Weber products like the otp, preformer, and accessories. Their focus on consumer products is mass production disposable plastic goods. You can bet these products are cheaper to make, more appealing to customers in the store, and meant to be obsoleted. You can check out their work here. Click the consumer link at the top.

http://www.choidesign.com/our-work/weber-accessories

It's modern but doesnt fit with the simple practical roots of the Weber kettle.

L

I fell to pear pressure by thinking I need a new performer. I bought one of the new ones at Home Depot for 199. By the third use the table top was cracked already! I am not impressed. In pictures it looks much thicker. It is real thin plastic. And yes weber did send me a new one but so what! I expect much more for my money from weber. I miss my 25 year old kettle that I bought at Target and never had one single issue with. I left it out side in Michigan for all them years. BOOOOOO on the "new" prone to break, step back, performer. I suspect it (the performer) is full of imported Chinese parts and ASSEMBLED in the U.S...
I might dump my performer for 150 on Cl... sorry, I just do not care for it...Go back to a real steel frame and stainless top... ok Im done whineing...

I just got a 2012 Performer with the Touch n Go gas ignition. I believe the kettle is made of lighter gauge metal than one from 10 years ago (going from memory, nothing to compare it with). That said the grill feels rock solid. Assembly was a snap. No parts damaged or missing, holes lined up perfectly.

I was a little disappointed to not see "Made in USA" anywhere on the grill. In fact, country of origin must have been on the box because I can't find it anywhere...

If they COULD say "made in USA", they would I think! If you look on the vents of a lot of kettles now it says ENGINEERED in Illinois! Not made in...I suspect its full of Mexico or China parts and put in the box here...Any one want to buy my performer for 200 bucks? These cost over 400 new! Really!
icon_wink.gif

I dont think that the Weber era is even close to being over. But having said that, I think that they are trying to appeal to the masses so called "modern taste" when it comes to their current styling etc. Plus there can be that feeling of "peer pressure" from neighbors who have that big and massive gas grill and calling classic kettles a relic from the past or that they dont have the "patience" for charcoal, or that Webers are too expensive, or "thats what my Dad/Grandpa uses" so I'll look cool and get a massive gas grill even if its lesser quality and replace it every 3 years. Dont get me wrong, I want to get a Weber gasser someday, but its not in the cards right now. I currently have a Char-Broil gasser that I got for free and only use it in the winter, maybe once or twice. I know that its not 1/10th the quality and longevity of a Weber, so when I do actually spend money on a gasser, I'll make an investment in quality (Weber) , not go out and buy whats the "in thing" (NexGrill). -End rant

Don't underestimate the power of this forum. I was looking at a BGE because they are having an Eggfest here in Athens next weekend. I was put off at the horrible cost. So I began to do some research. I had a Weber Smokey Joe that is 5 years old and still works like a charm and looks good to. So while checking on other types of ceramic cookers and various smokers I checked out this forum. Found out how to make a smoker that is wonderful (and plenty large for my wife and I) from my Smokey Joe, and still have the smokey joe gill. While here I began to read about the weber grills. After a few hours of reading I knew I wanted a Weber, just didn't know which one. Went to several stores and looked them all over and settled on the Performer without the gas starter (just something weird to break). I have used charcoal chimneys for years and they suit me fine. Now I check this site frequently and have posted a new article on how to make a cold smoker from a Performer or OTG. Love the forum. Will always be a dedicated Weber cook (even if I have to resort to buying used!).

I think the Webers are still the best on the market but I also think that they are made a bit cheaper. Folks talk about their Webers lasting 20 years or more but I doubt the newer ones will last anywhere close to that long. I've never owned or even seen the older kettles so I can't compare my Performer to them but maybe someone who has several can explain if there is a quality difference.
My Performer is great but it rattles when being moved, the casters lock on their own and look really cheap. The lid is dented on the edge from the previous owner placing it on the holder and the bottom wire rack is showing some signs of rust. These are minor issues and can be replaced under warranty but these problems shouldn't be happening after only 2-3 years of occasionally use and for a grill that costs over $400. Still love it but I don't expect it to last to long after the warranty expires.

I guess the old saying "they don't make them like they use to" will sadly apply to Webers too.

Honestly my newer Webers and the older ones I have are not a whole lot different. I personally don't feel like these grills are bad or poorly made. I have had a performer for years and I am not having all the problems you guys are having. It's my number one go to grill. It's great and I don't know what I would do without it. There are always haters. For them I say Char-broil. I'll stick with Weber 'til the end,

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
Honestly my newer Webers and the older ones I have are not a whole lot different. I personally don't feel like these grills are bad or poorly made. I have had a performer for years and I am not having all the problems you guys are having. It's my number one go to grill. It's great and I don't know what I would do without it. There are always haters. For them I say Char-broil. I'll stick with Weber 'til the end,

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to agree. I have a 2002 platinum, 2006 performer and 2010 performer on my patio and recently looked at the new 2012 performer at HD and I see no noticeable difference in quality. I fully expect my 2010 performer to go 20+ years. As to some of the previous comments, the tables on all three of these grills are of the same thickness and quality and I don't see how one would break unless it was simply faulty to begin with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric J.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to agree. I have a 2002 platinum, 2006 performer and 2010 performer on my patio and recently looked at the new 2012 performer at HD and I see no noticeable difference in quality. I fully expect my 2010 performer to go 20+ years. As to some of the previous comments, the tables on all three of these grills are of the same thickness and quality and I don't see how one would break unless it was simply faulty to begin with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i totally agree. the quality hasn't changed.
Although the changes to the platinum are pretty lame.

People need things to ***** and whine about.

MY performer table broke because I had a bunch of stuff on it and i lifted it using the table.

It is interesting that the original poster for the thread never replied, or expanded on what changed.

<shrug>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back