The quest for the holy grill

Douglas A

I'm just curious, because I am still relatively new to this group, what do you all consider the Holy Grill of grills. I'm constantly keeping track of what's available within a 300 mile radius, because I'm looking for some hard to find parts, but if you saw something, what would you jump the gun at regardless of condition?

There are not as many grails in gassers as kettles. Maybe the 5000, or Jr. Possibly a Platinum, or certain Summits.
Really any older one that is new in the box. Logo lids are very popular with some. In particular the Skyline with some
members here. The king of all logo lids would be the NFL version from 95. It is rumored that only one was produced
for each team. I have the Chiefs SJ (mass produced), the MT (rumored 10 to each team), and would walk to the end
of the earth to find that one Genesis.

Be more specific on what you are looking for. Size, function, fuel, etc.... Weber made lot of really great grills over the years but it makes no sense to recommend a 2005 Stainless Steel Frame Platinum C or a Genesis 5000 if you are really looking for a 6 burner grill or even a coal burner. Oh, and in my mind, condition always plays a part. You would not believe the heaps of rust and disfigured steel that some people try to unload for hundreds of dollars.

This one is about as wide ope as it gets, as it will vary drastically from person to person. Myself, I’m searching every day for deals, but my “Holy Grail” would have to be a Weber Char Q. I know right, pretty lame as far as all I had to choose from. But I have always wanted one and around here, you have a better chance of seeing a snow leopard than a Char-Q!
Tim

I got Snow Leopards all over the place around here. Damn things stole a roast off my Weber Genesis last week.

No dream gas grill here. I am happy with the Genesis Platinum I have and with the Skyline I still need to restore. But I would like to get my hands on some colorful kettles. Especially a Homer Simpson kettle.

Just found this posted for sale. Seller is asking $20. Looks like a good one to flip quick.

m3KgPRS.jpg

kxr6KGI.jpg

Doug, the only caution I would present there is the lid. That one looks pretty dirty on the outside and stainless steel can be tricky to clean up. Also, the inside has a liner and it is virtually impossible to clean (if that would be what you expect to do). Although you can just rip out the liner. Not saying you shouldn't go for it, just a little caution. The frame and everything else looks pretty good. The stains on the tables wouldn't concern me too much.

If that is the type of grill you are looking for in a "Holy Grill". Then I would steer you to a 2005 Genesis Platinum stainless steel frame grill. Hard to find, but the stainless frame is just awesome. The grill itself looks virtually identical to the one you posted, but with a stainless frame and they also have an enclosed cabinet (Which is almost always rusted out). But the cabinet can be removed.

cr8ANx4.jpg

Last edited:
Doug, the only caution I would present there is the lid. That one looks pretty dirty on the outside and stainless steel can be tricky to clean up. Also, the inside has a liner and it is virtually impossible to clean (if that would be what you expect to do). Although you can just rip out the liner. Not saying you shouldn't go for it, just a little caution. The frame and everything else looks pretty good. The stains on the tables wouldn't concern me too much.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll pass on this one.

If that is the type of grill you are looking for in a "Holy Grill". Then I would steer you to a 2005 Genesis Platinum stainless steel frame grill. Hard to find, but the stainless frame is just awesome. The grill itself looks virtually identical to the one you posted, but with a stainless frame and they also have an enclosed cabinet (Which is almost always rusted out). But the cabinet can be removed.

cr8ANx4.jpg

That's what I'm waiting to find now - a stainless steel frame. After that I'm done with the perpetual upgrade game.

Mikey:
I sold that grill. However, I picked up another one a couple months ago and it is not going to be sold this time. I am going to rehab it for myself. I will be doing the open cabinet conversion again and will probably rip the liner out of the stainless lid and then I think I will be keeping a Skyline lid for it as well and I can swap the two. Plus, this new one I have is a Platinum C with the side burner. I have actually cooked on the grill a couple times and it works wonderfully. But, I have to do some checking because it goes over 650 degrees. Not sure if the burners are the issue or if the thermometer is bad or what, but I don't think it should be getting that hot.

samtl2W.jpg

I have actually cooked on the [Platinum] grill a couple times and it works wonderfully. But, I have to do some checking because it goes over 650 degrees. Not sure if the burners are the issue or if the thermometer is bad or what, but I don't think it should be getting that hot.

samtl2W.jpg

Bruce,
For whatever reason mine also gets very hot, well over 600, too! I just put a leftover Summit thermometer on it, but haven’t used it since. I will let you know how it registers on this thermometer after my next cook.

Yah, Duh, I have a summit thermometer as well. I could swap them out and try it. I also have a Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer that I could fasten near the lid thermometer and I know that is accurate. But it is only rated for 700 degrees. Maybe that SS lid with the liner helps to insulate the lid and keep more heat in.

I'm just curious, because I am still relatively new to this group, what do you all consider the Holy Grill of grills. I'm constantly keeping track of what's available within a 300 mile radius, because I'm looking for some hard to find parts, but if you saw something, what would you jump the gun at regardless of condition?

Going back to your original question, I am probably the biggest pushover for wanting to collect unusual grills. The CharQ was on my list, too, but I totally lucked into a tired but intact one for just $25. It has its limitations, but for high-heat, straight quick charcoal grilling I have grown to like it once I learned it’s idiosyncrasies.

My list for Special Find/Holy Grail/Unicorn whatever grills:

A first generation Summit, intact and in a color even better
A middle generation Platinum with the “wing” side tables
A very first Genesis 3 with the wide slats. (There is someone in western Illinois who has a fairly intact one on OfferUp and is down to TWENTY-FIVE dollars:eek:!:()
A two-burner Skyline
Any Genesis with a “chocolate” brown hood

Mikey:
I sold that grill. However, I picked up another one a couple months ago and it is not going to be sold this time. I am going to rehab it for myself. I will be doing the open cabinet conversion again and will probably rip the liner out of the stainless lid and then I think I will be keeping a Skyline lid for it as well and I can swap the two. Plus, this new one I have is a Platinum C with the side burner. I have actually cooked on the grill a couple times and it works wonderfully. But, I have to do some checking because it goes over 650 degrees. Not sure if the burners are the issue or if the thermometer is bad or what, but I don't think it should be getting that hot.

samtl2W.jpg

Yah Bruce, I like mine as well...it's my daily driver and have not been disappointed.

5hutFm4.jpg

q480ugv.jpg

Already found mine. Very high end ($10000 when it was new) every inch solid 304 SS and even with custom grates by Dave Santana still under $450 invested in it. Can't beat that.

Larry,
Yeah, that is for sure a winner, certainly from a quality perspective and at a great price, too! Those grates make it even better than it was originally.

I am working towards getting to restore the Lynx I was lucky enough to cage a while back. It will interesting to see if I can go through with parting with it after I am done :rolleyes:!

Yeah, my original intention was to part with it..........................You can see how well that worked out :D

Yeah, my original intention was to part with it..........................You can see how well that worked out :D

There are a few makes out there that are commercial/industrial grills. And they all cost thousands. if I ever came across a good deal on one I don't think I would part with it either. But then I wouldn't have to part with it since they are built to last. If you're under $450 with your Wolf, including Dave's custom-made BBQ grates,,,,,well....
Maybe one day I'll find a deal like that.

Back