The Norwegian Copycat strikes again, and hits some Roadside Chicken.

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I have tried to make roadside chicken several times, and I have never been satisfied with the result. Burned, dry, tasteless chicken, partly a mess by being dragged around the grill to avoid flareups.
Then I noticed that you could use the WSM. What a great idea! Still, I think the thin sauce is bothersome. I want sauce that clings to the meat, not something that drips off and works like fuel.
So I started thinking, this must be possible to do better. I bought some Zanthan gum and gave it a try. Here is how it went.

I also noticed the baked potato- test. Me steal the idea. Mix sea salt with water, add potato and on the WSM.

Here is my sauce for Roadside chicken, pretty much as described, but with some fresh garlic and dried hot peppers. A blender, and a bit over half a teaspoon of xantan gum does the trick. Nice and sticky.

First baste. See, no dripping!

Almost there, her shown together with a couple of mushrooms. I halved the sauce recipe, and only managed to use half of it. I basted and turned every 6 minutes.

Finally, plated. I’m sorry for the blurry photo. It was the only one I took.

The potato was very good as well, but I should have opened the foil during the cook to get a slightly more “baked feel” on the potato.
Next time, I will try to add some bread crumbs to the sauce. I’m sure I can manage to build up a thin crust that way.
Thank you for your time.

Hey Geir, nice idea with the zanthan gum! For roadside chicken I just marinate the chicken for 4-5 hours in the marinade (follow the recipe but leave out the oil) and then cook indirect at a high heat, and sear the chicken right at the end of the cook. I don't even bother basting it during the cook at all and it turns out awesome every time. I found that marinating for more then 5 hours gives the chicken a weird texture and too much of a tangy vinegar taste, so don't go any longer then 5 hours. Maybe give it a try?

I got a pound of xanthum gum a couple of weeks ago, all I've used it for is for chicken wings (thickened up a franks hot sauce w/ red pepper flakes mixed in).

I'm gonna thicken up some terriyaki sauce for wings next (toss the wings in sauce after they're cooked).

So I take it you liked your modified RSC - cool!

Yes, I really liked them. Next time I'm doing a marinade as well as adding some bread.

(This is off- topic, but if you have xantan gum, you'll have to try to make a stable clarified butter sauce with the stuff. It is simply fantastic!)

This looks FANTASTIC!!
dsc0585d.jpg

where did you get the xantham gum? if at a grocery store, what aisle? would flour or cornstarch have done the same thing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I’m sorry for the blurry photo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No apologies necessary. An amazing and delicious cook all around!

Corey- if I told you, you'd be out for along ride for that supermarket. I live in Norway
icon_smile.gif
If you pass by, please visit for a drink and some food..

Here it is hard to find, but look in health food stores, as it is used by people with gluten allergy in bread recipes.
It does not behave like corn starch, or flour, for example it does not not need to be heated to thicken liquids.
As a oposite to corn starch, which is diletant, the xanthan gum is thixsotropic. Quite handy. I have read that if you overdo it, it can feel "slimy" and have a sligthly bitter taste. I did not experience such problems, but I used only enough to make the sauce stick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
Corey- if I told you, you'd be out for along ride for that supermarket. I live in Norway
icon_smile.gif
If you pass by, please visit for a drink and some food..

Here it is hard to find, but look in health food stores, as it is used by people with gluten allergy in bread recipes.
It does not behave like corn starch, or flour, for example it does not not need to be heated to thicken liquids.
As a oposite to corn starch, which is diletant, the xanthan gum is thixsotropic. Quite handy. I have read that if you overdo it, it can feel "slimy" and have a sligthly bitter taste. I did not experience such problems, but I used only enough to make the sauce stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the reply!!

Brilliant idea with the xantham gum! Looks great Geir.

(And if that plated pic is blurry, then I need to adjust my monitor because it looked great to me.)

Pics and chicken look good to me. An interesting trick that I never thought of (I just keep learning new things everytime I am here
icon_wink.gif
).

I like that you come here with something new, Geir. A very interesting variant of the RSC. Thanks for the new wind
icon_wink.gif

Back