The Mystery of That Strange "Rust" Solved....

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
This probably is no mystery at all to many of you, but I've seen some complain here about "rust" forming inside their WSM. It isn't rust, of course, but I think I've figured out what causes it, and how it can actually be useful.

I'm talking, of course, about that rusty colored dust and particles that will sometimes form on the inside of the WSM. After a year-plus of using the smoker quite a bit, I think I can definitely say what causes it. It only happens when I have water in the pan, AND have a hot fire with charcoal left AND I close all the vents, including the top vent, to choke off the fire. What I think happens is that the combination of hot fire, water in the pan, and closed vents causes steam/water vapor to form on the inside, particularly the dome. Indeed, I've seen this as the WSM cools off- the dome actually has water running down its sides. After the fire dies out, and the water evaporates, what is left is those strange, rust colored flakes and powder. But that stuff brushes off easily, and leaves a clean black lid underneath (if you brush it off diligently enough).

So what I've concluded is happening is that choking off a hot fire with fuel left and water in the bowl effectively steam cleans the inside of the WSM. That rusty stuff is actually the "cake" steamed off the lid and sides.

So I'd like to think this post answers two questions I've seen come up from time to time.

1. "What is that rusty stuff inside my smoker?"

and

2. "What's the best way to clean my WSM?"

icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Matt,

I get the "rust" all the time, and I also do exactly what you say most of the time: Have water in the pan and close all the vents to kill the fire. Maybe for the next few times I cook, I'll leave all the vents wide open, let the fire go out slowly, and see if the "rust" doesn't happen.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Please see email I sent re: avatar.

Chris,

I almost always use water, but I usually let the fire burn out. Last time, I wanted to see how much charcoal I'd have left over, to gauge fuel usage, so I closed the vents. While the cooker was still warm, I noticed the water on the inside of the lid. After it was cool and dry, having cleaned the cooker and re-opened the vents for circulation, the cake turned to that rusty stuff. Then I remembered the other times it did that, and I had always had water vapor on the inside of the dome, which was always caused by closing down the vents.

Normally I let the fire burn out, and what happens otherwise is the lid gets that slick, hard "cake" on it.

Let it burn out the next 2-3 times as an experiment, and let me know what it does (or doesn't do).

Back