The Logic of Layering Flavors/Rubs??

B Stone

TVWBB Member
I've noticed that several folks tend to layer their seasonings for the rubs when applying on their meat. In the past, I've just dumped everything in a bowl (salt, pepper, papricka, brown sugar, etc) and slapped it on the butt. Can someone explain the method, reasoning, advantages to layering spices/flavors? Thanks in advance. You guys are really a great and learned group; it's been nice to spy in and pick up pointers.

It completely goes against a KISS philosophy, if that's how you cook, and especially if doing big cooks. So the only reason I can think of is in the case of sprinkling with kosher and then hitting it with a layer of a saltless rub. The obvious benefit is that the salt is controlled and evenly applied. The not so obvious benefit is that the salt quickly starts drawing out a bit of moisture for the rub to stick to, with briskets needing that more than anything. Most of the time, though, I use a wet rub for briskets.

Layering?
Say for ribs I paper towel dry, apply a glue like Canola oil and then 2 different rubs.
Some like the salt free rubs. Again a glue, then salt or seasoned salt then the salt free rub.

Sometimes additional rub aka finishing rub is added towards the end of the cook because many ingredients in rubs "burn off" during cooking.

Layering also refers to building a flavor profile starting with the meat, brines, glue, rubs, wood used, foiling/not-foiling with/without add ingredients, sauce/glaze, finishing rub, final sauce/glaze, plating. Each selected to complement the meat not for the meat to be spoon for the sauce. For the latter, a Ritz Cracker works best.

I don't think many members "layer" the spices individually, in fact, I'm not sure I've ever read of anyone doing that. Most just mix everything together and then put it on the meat.

I put rubs on in the order of finest first to coarsest last. The theory being that if coarse rubs go on first the finer ones won't get good contact with the meat. Does it affect the final product? Can't really say that I've ever noticed a difference.

Back