The Learning Curve for Lump

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
With all the discussion on abandoning Kingsford, I've been thinking of switching to lump.

AFIK, there are 3 brands of lump available in Jackson - Cowboy, Royal Oak, and Real Flavor (WalMart).

I've used a few bags of Cowboy in the past, pre-WSM. Got turned off real quick when one of the bags contained a 3# rock! Hard as I tried, I couldn't get that rock to burn.
icon_wink.gif

The Naked Whiz rates both Royal Oak and Real Flavor as "Good Stuff", saying that they are both the same product.

So, my question is:
Has anyone experienced a significant 'learning curve' when switching altogether from briquettes to lump?
I'm aware of all the 'default' information about lump, i.e. hotter, less ash, etc., but what I'm really interested in is things relating to the WSM.
Also searched this site and read quite a bit about using lump.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You think an abandoned chimney in a field is the headstone for a dead giraffe.

All you have to remember is to start controling you temps sooner than you would with Kingsford.

Some people say lump burns hotter. Let me clarify that statement... Lump can burn hotter. But only if you let it. Good lump can also burn longer than Kf, lbs for lbs.

Other than early temp control, cook as you always have.

Learning curve, not really, but I think there are a few things to keep in mind: Quality pays off in results and less product use (skip the Cowboy); don't wait till the lump ashes over while still in the chimney--you'll burn up too much of it--so when lighting for a high-heat cook get it to somewhere between half and three-quarters of a chimney going good, dump, spread, and top with unlit (or another partially lit chimney if using two) and wait till all is going fairly well before assembling; merely dumping lump into the ring for a Minion can leave too many unfilled spaces though how much depends a lot on brand--careful arranging of the lump during ring-filling can minimize the spaces maximizing the amount of lump you can fit in.

And, as Chris notes, with many--possibly most--brands you have to control temps sooner than you would with Kingsford. (With Wicked Good this depends on how (or if) I've arranged it.)

I use Kingsford for starting the lump like others. I also spread the kingsford all around the lump when ashed over also, not just dumping it in the middle.
Lump is great, but if YOU let it, it will get away from you.
icon_eek.gif

I have used Royal Oak now on my last 6 cooks my sixth being last night. I woud say it took me 4 cooks in different types of weather conditions to really understand how to control the temps.

Not only will the lump react to fresh air quicker I find it cools off quicker to when you close the vents. If you plan on doing an over night cook and not having to manage the vents this may be a problem. The ash production is a night and day difference from kingsford and I think the taste of the bbq is much better. I would have 2lbs of ash left over from a kingsford cook. Good luck

Rick

i asked this question in the "kingsford sucks" thread but it may better belong in this thread. is there any difference in refueling between lump and briquets? normally i dump 1/2 - 3/4 of a chimney of lit briquets when it's time to refuel.

thanks.

I've been using lump for the past year (not that I cook all that often), but lump or briquettes, when I need to refuel I just add more unlit charcoal through the door.

I've used Royal Oak lump for short cooks (ribs and chicken) and have found virtually no difference from Kingsford in terms of performance. I tried a brand from Trader Joe's once (it may have been Cowboy) and it was horrible. Burned hot and fast. I'd highly recommend the Royal Oak.

Went to the store today and bought several bags of royal oak....then found some wicked good lump in tampa, so I bought several bags of it too. I was very impressed with the density of the wicked good. Wow is the only way to describe it. I'll use the wgl on a butt cook soon.

I did use the royal Oak tonight on just some burgers and dogs. Very good stuff. My fears are gone now. I was worried because the only lump I used was cowboy....and like in an earlier post, boy, it was crap.

Don't hesitate on the royal oak....quality looks really consistent (I inspected the whole bag, wife saw the mess and now I have to mop the patio....should have done that before she got home)

BTW, the flavor of the royal oak was great, but will I have to use less wood now on overnighters and such?

Craig, I still fill the basket for overnighters. I even take the time to hand pack it so there are less open areas because of the un-even sizes of the lump.

Back