The Jack

Yes. Going to take the judging class on Friday, and hoping to walk around a little on Friday afternoon and meet some folks.
I would love to compete in the shade tree (a.k.a. backyard) division next year, if I can find out when they let you submit entry forms.

Hope to meet you at the KCBS judging class Fri Jim. A buddy and I will be there as well. I'm heading back up Sun to watch the judging and wander the grounds to see the teams - especially Smokin Triggers, Slap Yo Daddy, Yazoo's Delta Q, and Jack's Old South. I thought about doing the shade tree thing but I think I'll just stick to the deck here at home.

Same here, Dwain. A friend and I will in the class and we will look for you there. Not sure about the rest of the weekend, but we may walk around and try to say hi to some of the same teams you mentioned after the class is over.

LYNCHBURG, Tenn. (October 27, 2012) – Pig Skin BBQ from Rockwell, Iowa, claimed the title of Grand Champion at the 24th Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue held in Lynchburg Tenn., on Saturday October 27.

As Grand Champion, Pig Skin BBQ received $5,000, braggin’ rights as winner of the most prestigious barbecue contest in the world and the chance to come back in 2013 to defend their title.

Thanks for the write up. What great looking ribs! Can't imagine how 1st place must have looked.

Have a comp this weekend and have been considering taking the mini. Won't be doing any white meat, but I think I'll throw it in, just in case.

Last edited:
Congrats on the strong finish at the Jack! Your new WSM "extreme makeover" looks awesome.

Weekend Warrior, a team from Canada, won brisket at the Jack. They were using a Weber 22.5 with an extension ring.

There were at least 40 teams with a Weber grill in their booth. Many teams using Webers exclusively. It just goes to show that you can use your Weber in your backyard or go on to win a World Championship!

Congratulations

Harry - That write up was just fantastic. Felt like I was right there with y'all. Great job and I really appreciate you taking the time to memorialize all that was happening over those days. Congrats on the great finish too!!

If its not cool enough that Harry checks in here from time to time, or that he put the link to that amazing write up which made me feel like I was at the Jack myself...I point you to these two nuggets from the article as proof positive that Harry is one of the nicest guys on the BBQ circuit:

"My team gave out the tees, tote bags, and SYD buttons (by HaroldsHogWash.com) in exchange for small cash donations to Operation Homefront which is a charity that SYD has been supporting the past four years. Proceeds to go to the troops, their families, and veterans. The response was huge and we ran out of tees quickly. We were able to collect $700 for this very worthwhile charity."

"Thanks go out to the Pacific Northwest BBQ Society (PNWBA) for offering to help fund SYD’s trip which I asked to be converted to a charity donation for the needy"

Congrats on your "auto bung" and your 27th place finish Harry, you're a standup guy and everyone at TVWBB appreciates you dropping in and gracing us with your presence.

Noskos and I had the honour to join the DutchBBQGuru.nl team for the International part of the Jack. Although we were only 82nd out of 87 teams we were are very proud of the result.

Homeland Cooking

jackgerechten-1.jpg

Chicken

jackgerechten-2.jpg

Ribs

jackgerechten-3.jpg

Pork

jackgerechten-4.jpg

Brisket

jackgerechten-5.jpg

Dessert

jackgerechten-6.jpg

Great lookin boxes there! I am unfamiliar with the rules in the Homeland Cooking category, is pooled sauce allowed?

It's a free category, you can do what you want, like in the chef's choice. So mashed potatoes with curly kale, bacon bits and gravy is allowed.

Good looking boxes Dennis. When they told us in the judging class that chicken had to include white and dark meat, I thought that was a big challenge. Looks like you guys made it look great.

Back