The Horror!! Small brisket dilemma...

Brian Ki.

Gang - I am super jacked up about my 3rd Memorial Day Smoke. We were planning on smoking a brisket with the WSM.

Unfortunately, my Costco only has 6 pound briskets. Can anyone direct me to recipe for these smaller briskets? Ideally we were looking to smoke a 14 pounder.

Thanks

Brian,

Just smoke it the same way. It will just finish earlier. I guess you'll just have to buy more of them, or mix it up, like I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do a turkey and a brisket(8lbs). But your looking at the same cooking procedures no matter the weight.

Have you already bought them? If not, do a couple of big chuck roasts. Costco usually has them cheap and pretty big. They taste amazing, and it will be something nobody has ever had.

Otherwise, I bet a few guys on this board have made some great 6 lb briskets. You'll get some expert advice.

Is it a flat? Or just a really small packer? I did a 6lb CAB flat about a month ago and it came out pretty well. A tad dry but very tender.

Total cook time was about 11 hours averaging about 235 lid temp. I cooked it til it hit about 165 then foiled with some beef broth for another 3 hours to get to fork tender. It took longer than I thought and I was worried the whole time I was drying it out but I was pleased with the results.

Next time I think I'd inject prior to cooking, and foil a little sooner with more broth in the foil. Despite the long time in the foil I had excellent bark.

Good luck. Briskets are by far the hardest thing for me to cook consistently. I'm doing a pork butt this weekend for my crowd. Those are practically automatic at this point.

I'm with Gary: if it's not too thin and has a decent fat cap, the high heat method will give you excellent results with a 6-lb flat. I just did an amazing one a few weeks ago.

If my goal for internal temp is 200 degrees and the WSM around 225-250, how long should I anticipate the smoke with (2) 6 pound briskets?

I have read anywhere from 8-11 hours. Should I consider Smoke and Oven finish?

Thanks gang! I will have a hungry group and want to try and get the serving time between 5pm-7pm...

I would get them in the smoker at 6am. Should be done by 3pm. 2 hrs rest and a nap.
Happy Smoke Day 6!!!!

Mark

Back