The Greatest Myths about BBQ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
How many grills do you need? You can only cook on one at a time!
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to laugh as we just had a repairman last week in the house and these were his exact words (as I have all my grills/smoker lined up on the patio outside). I didn't waste my breath!

"You have to boil your ribs first to make them tender."

Boiling is fine for making soup. NOT BBQ!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
1)don't rub your rub in to the meat because it clogs the meat's "pores" and then it won't "absorb" smoke

we can expand this to any comment regarding meat pores and meat absorbing smoke

2)meat stops absorbing smoke at 140*

3)water pan helps keep meat moist

4)presalting meat draws out moisture and dries it out

5)fat caps drip into the meat

6)mopping makes meat moist

7)nitrites, salts, fats, msg are all bad for you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna say the water pan one!!!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Linda Mac:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
How many grills do you need? You can only cook on one at a time!
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to laugh as we just had a repairman last week in the house and these were his exact words (as I have all my grills/smoker lined up on the patio outside). I didn't waste my breath! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha!! I cooked on three at one time today.

You guys took all the good ones already...

I was going to say:

1.) Searing meat "locks in the juices"

and

2.) Water Pans keep meat moist.

I've never used a water pan. And if we're trying to replicate what the old cow pokes did back in the day of slow cooking large (or tough) pieces of meat over fire for long, long periods of time then you really don't use water because they didn't either. '

The biggest myth (that's left for me to contribute) lies in the box of "BBQ Utensil Set"

The only tool I use for anything is a set of tongs. I use them for steaks, burgers, hot dogs, pork chops, roasts, chickens, and anything and everything else that I cook. I don't use a fork, and I don't use a spatula.... and if I DID use a spatula, I would NEVER EVER EVER use a serrated edged spatula.

I mean come on!!!

1. "Barbecue" potato chips.

2. The best (or only real) barbecue comes from: _________(Kansas City, Texas, The Carolinas, the South, ETC.) Insert the city, state, region, country or planet of your choice.

Ok. This one just came up on another thread so it's worth mentioning; one that I'm really ashamed to have repeated. What can I say? I got it off the internet.
icon_rolleyes.gif

BBQ Forum myth: If your pork butts are done early, they'll be JUST FINE if you wrap 'em in foil and keep hot in a cooler for up to six hours.

I should clarify that if "JUST FINE" is translated to "kind of dry and sort of mushy", then it's NOT a myth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
"Every cut of meat [or "every butt" or "every brisket"] is different." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, and I am sure many of us on here are guilty on that one. We should say, Every COOK we do is different.

I will go with "Mustard adds flavor before rubbing"

The water in the pan keeping meat moist really is my favorite though. It's definitely #1.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
"Every cut of meat [or "every butt" or "every brisket"] is different." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, and I am sure many of us on here are guilty on that one. We should say, Every COOK we do is different.

I will go with "Mustard adds flavor before rubbing"

The water in the pan keeping meat moist really is my favorite though. It's definitely #1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, wise words there Josh!

Myth: brisket takes too long to cook.

Reality: as long as the beer does not run out then it can never take too long to cook brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
The water in the pan keeping meat moist really is my favorite though. It's definitely #1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Josh, you talking about wsm water pans or Myron Mixon's pans?
icon_biggrin.gif

...but that reminds me of another one:
For a charcoal smoker you don't need any wood for good smoke flavor.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If you stay up all night checking in on your BBQ you'll be cranky all day tomorrow.

When I bbq 2 things make me cranky, running out of beer and questions

Back