The Good One??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anybody read Barbeque & Beverage mag? They had a review on a smoker/grill called The Good One. Looked pretty cool. I'm very happy with my Weber, but just keep wondering if a bigger smoker like "The Good One" would be a worthwile investment.

Scott, looked at them on line was curious about them. No prices listed on the web site (thats scarry). If thats the style your after go to tejas.com and check out the Model # 2430 it's pretty cool. I was about an hour away from buying that one till i found this web-site. Saved alot of money and got great help from the vetrans here on this site. Thanks to all of them for the help. Thanks to Chris for this great site. I've read that so many people found this web-site by accident (myself included) Just wondering how many people dropped alot of money before they found out how well the WSM does Low & Slow.Glad i wasn't one of them. I used to own an ECB but got fustrated with it real fast (used it twice). Thats why i didn't consider the WSM until i found this site. Mabe someday i will get the Tejas #2430 but until then i got the Bullet And i love it. Happy Smoking Bryan /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Scott,

Yes, I have checked out The Good-One and really like it. They will send you videotape and a price list. If I were to buy another large smoker, it would definitely be near the top of my consideration list. (I don't care much for offsets; they use too much fuel for small cooks and are too difficult to keep an even temperature across the entire smoking chamber.) The firebox is at waist level, runs the entire width of the smoking chamber, allows access to the fire without disturbing the smoking chamber, and can be used for grilling. For family and a few friends, the WSM is large enough, doesn't use as much fuel, and is very easy to cook with.

Ray, Scott, thats why i like the tejas 2430 the fire box is under the grill / smoke chamber. The one thing i don't like about the good one is the gauge of steel used 11 & 14 gauge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
[qb]The one thing i don't like about the good one is the gauge of steel used 11 & 14 gauge.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Except for the model 60, it's made of 7 gage (3/16") steel.

The design of The Good-One is so much better, though. I would suspect the Tejax 2430 to have a hot spot, right in the center. Its firebox is not as convenient, capable of being used as a grill, or lends itself well to using charcoal, as well as wood, for fuel. Temperature in the smoking chamber is controlled by the amount of oxygen allowed to the fire, like the WSM. The Good-One has a damper, between the firebox and smoke chamber, and a return path to the firebox - much better, IMO. But, that's why they still make Chevy's and Fords!

So in other words you would have to buy the top of the line model 60 to get the GOOD-ONE with the GOOD-METAL? Don't seem right to me. Why not make all of them with the GOOD-METAL.JMO /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

It wouldn't help if a smoker was made out of 1.0" thick steel, if the design was no good. I see nothing wrong with 7 gauge (0.120" thick) steel, especially, if the manufacturer has a good reputation and warranty. Do you have any idea what the steel thickness of the WSM is? Is it a good design? Does it last a long time?

Is the good one Porcelin enamel coated ? Will my WSM last a long time? Let ya know in 10 or so years. Seems to me that KLOSE, GATOR PITS, BEN LANG, TEJAS, the list goes on and on all use the same thicknes of steel. No matter if you're buying the least expensive model or a trailer rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back