the ever popular water pan question

Dave/G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've seen posts here that say some people never put anything in the pan. They foil both sides for easier cleaning and use an otherwise empty pan.
I'm sure they know what they are doing if they've been doing it for some time. If I thought of that myself, impossible, I would worry about fat accumulating in the pan during a cook and catching fire.
I'd like to hear from both sides, the water users and the empty pans. (you know what I mean)
thanks

I do both:

If I'm looking for a ~250 temp I use a Brinkmann pan full with warm water, foiled only on the underside.

If I'm looking for a higher temp of around 350 (how I do my briskets now) I do not have anything in the water pan except for foil on both sides.

I do plan on trying out one of the waterless mods (piedmont pan, clay base, etc) eventually but I've been doing a lot of cooks recently where I don't have time to throw new variables into the mix.

Jeremiah,

I had the same question as Dave as to how it comes out different with the higher temps. I have only done one brisket, low and slow, and it came out great.

My other, very beginner question, is why you foil only the underside of the pan. Doesn't this allow the fat to bake in the base of the pan and make a mess?

Bob

I switched to the clay pot base back in the spring and haven't looked back since then when doing a low temp cook. It's just easier for me and don't have to worry about refilling or spilling the water.

For 350 or above I just leave the pan out completely and use the top rack only.

I haven't tried a empty foiled pan at all.

Randy

Personally I always use an empty water pan. I just close the vents up about 80% and that will keep me around the 250 range or open them up for 350. I find it saves fuel not having to heat up the water. Just my .02.

Clark

Dave/G - I'm not Randy but I'll take a shot at your question.

I went to Walmart and bought a 14" diameter clay saucer that is meant to go under a flower pot.

If the saucer fits securely on the tabs that support the water pan, foil it and you are good to go. If it doesn't fit on the brackets, put it in the waterpan (it sets right on top) and foil the whole mess.

Thats it - you are good to go.

Also you can cook pizza on the saucer - turn it over and put it on a kettle rack or such.

REAL EASY mod - lots of us are really pleased doing this

I'm old school.

I have a Brinkman pan I use with water IF I have something on the bottom grate.

Nothing on the bottom grate, the standard Weber pan with sand and foil tightly covering the sand.

Dave,
I use the pizza stone foiled on top of the empty water pan. Sometimes I might throw a couple of foil balls within the water pan to lend a little support to the stone.

I have tried the flowerpot and it also works excellent. Stone is thinner and accomplishes the same thing.

I think most would agree that the waterpan is there only to help you maintain a consistent temp.

I have smoked a total of 4 times (novice) but either the flowerpot or pizza stone is the way to go. My first smoke I caught the temp on the way up using the minion method and then closed the bottom vents. The stone or pot act as a heatsink and will keep temps very steady for long periods of time. When you done, all you have left on the pot or the stone is burnt juice that collects on the tinfoil. Toss the tinfoil and you are done.....all clean.

For high temps I use nothing.....

Dave,

Rich got pretty close but I went with a 12" from Lowe's that fits inside the original pan and works great for me. Go to the outdoor flower pot section and you can buy the bottom plate type saucer that the big flower pot sits on. The 14" will not fit the tabs and it sits to high on top of the pan to allow the bottom rack to sit where it should. It will work but the bottom rack sits on the clay saucer instead of the tabs where it should.

Just place the saucer down inside the pan. I take the wide heavy duty foil and wrap one peice from the bottom first and then cross over another peice on top and doing it carefully there will not be any holes or gaps for drippings to get into and collect. After each cook just throw away the foil and add new each time. I haven't even had to wash the pan or saucer in 20 cooks or so. Wrap it carefully to catch all the drippings. It holds temps at least as good if not better than water or sand. The sand works go too just more of a mess to clean up.

Randy

One of these days I'll remember to look for a pot base and give it a shot. I use water for low/slow butts, and bacon, an empty pan for ribs and brisket. Water is convenient for me--available next to the cooker and I've no issues with dumping it.

For you guys who are looking to try the clay saucer mod., here's a couple of quick tips (from someone who learned the hard way) that will save you some major hassle (right David L. ?) and some stress during your first clay saucer cook; 1) If you're doing a MM cook (all mine are) do not start with the standard 20 something lit coals, reduce to a 1/2 (I use 8 - 10 lit) of the recommended amount. Trust me on this one, you'll control the temp much easier this way. Also, catch the temp on the way up!!!! When she hits 200, shut down your bottom vents and then dial her in. Both will save you having to fight high temps when shooting for low and slow cooks.

Good luck!

The easiest way for me is sand covered with tin foil cuped to catch all the fat. Use several layers and just pill off the layer and throw away when done. One thing is that I have found out pour your playsand into the pan ahead of time and leave out to evaporate the moisture. If you dont the moisture from inside the sand will turn stale (stink). My father inlaw thought that his tin foil kept leaking untill I told him about the moisture.

I have seen many discussions of this mod but am still a little confused as to what you gain by using the clay saucer or the sand versus the water. I know the water is a pain to clean up but it also helps me to regulate the heat. I have seen many that swear by water and many that hate it.

Robert,

I have used water, sand, and clay saucer. All 3 are real close in doing the same job of regulating temps. You can regulate temps just as easy with sand or clay saucer as you do now with water. As alot of other people I thought that the water helps keeps the meat moist but it does not, so I went the easy route of using the clay saucer.

The only thing you gain by using the saucer is easier cleanup, I can't see that it helps the finished product any just less hassle for me and gives me more time to drink another beer!

Everybody has their own way of doing things so whatever works best for you stick with it.

Randy

I have been using the piedmont pan for the past several months. I really like that setup.

I have been meaning to look at lowes for clay pot to try. I am going to be ordering the dual stoker yet this week. I don't think it will matter much after that.

I used water for my first few cooks and then tried the sand and found that the sand is easier because I don't have to keep replacing the sand.

Back