the ever popular water pan question

I bought a 14" clay saucer from K-mart, $2.00 closeout, but have not tried it yet. I just read above that it may not fit height wise in the water pan. Can it be used without the water pan?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I bought a 14" clay saucer from K-mart, $2.00 closeout, but have not tried it yet. I just read above that it may not fit height wise in the water pan. Can it be used without the water pan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, no problem.

dave. Larry r told me that the 14 saucer doesn't fit securely on the brackets where the pan fits. I need to know this because I am going to get my saucer in a couple of days.

Is there a preference for either clay or water when doing an overnight smoke? Would the clay overheat and let the temp get too hot during the night?

I forgot to say, I am also concerned about the clay saucer not giving enough clearance for the bottom rack. This is why I was gona go with the 12 inch saucer and put it down in the water pan. There is about half to 3/4 inch clearance between the top of the pan and the rack. I feel we need this space because it allows for proper air flow. In other words if the bottom rack were to be smack tight against the saucer it would block the air flow around the food. wadoya think

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Gomes:
dave. Larry r told me that the 14 saucer doesn't fit securely on the brackets where the pan fits. I need to know this because I am going to get my saucer in a couple of days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bit of clarification; If I very carefully position the #14 clay saucer it will rest on the lower rack brackets, however, if I was to slightly bump the WSM I feel the clay pot may slip off one of the brackets. Thus I "nestle" the clay pot in my WSM waterpan.

This may only be how my brackets are configured, your results may vary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there a preference for either clay or water when doing an overnight smoke? Would the clay overheat and let the temp get too hot during the night? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, once you dial in a temp with the terra cotta saucer, it is quite stable. I usually start a couple hours before going to bed. That gives me time to reach equilibrium. I've not had problems with temps drifting significantly at night with the saucer. In my opinion, the chance of a temp spike is greater with water, if you were to completely run out of water while asleep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
Is there a preference for either clay or water when doing an overnight smoke? Would the clay overheat and let the temp get too hot during the night? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, actual (in my very brief experience) the opposite is true; with the clay saucer you don't get the spikes in temp should the water evaporate during the overnight smoke. I've been able to maintain 225 - 250 for up to 24 hours without adding fuel and very little vent adjustment using the clay saucer modification. On the "overnight" portion of my smokes you simply dial her in to the desired temp., "set-it and forget-it" (credit to Ron Popeil).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dave. Larry r told me that the 14 saucer doesn't fit securely on the brackets where the pan fits. I need to know this because I am going to get my saucer in a couple of days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that clay saucers are standardized from one store to the next, and furthermore, there seems to be some variance in the way that WSM's are constructed. Thus, I don't know that it would be accurate to make global statements about whether a 14 inch saucer fits on the brackets or not. It may or may not. It may or may not give you air flow under the bottom rack.

Steve, I think you are correct to assume that some air flow is good between your heat sink and bottom rack.

My suggestion would be to just keep you receipt when you buy a saucer, try and see if it fits. If not, take it back and exchange it for a different one.

David and Steve,

I had the same problem with the 14". Mine did fit but just barely. I didn't trust it either, it was only holding by maybe 1/8" or so. So I went with the 12" inside the pan.

Randy

Back