The Elusive 225

Do they sell the whole packet uncut by you? That seems expensive for a flat, to me.

Looks good. That’s a pot roast you made, correct? I never did one in jus on the WSK.
Smoked brisket cooked using the recipe book that came with the WSC.

I tried something new with the coals based on this photograph- not my grill:

779B6EAF-52F7-4236-B3D5-EE4A4E7D76E7.jpeg

I also didn’t use any digital thermometers- only the Weber dome thermometer.

Once the grill settled in, I kept between 220-240 degrees for the entire cook without difficulty.

Four hours in the pan to 160 degrees, around 4 more wrapped in foil to 190 degrees.
The brisket was very good.

John, I did my second low and slow a couple weeks back on the WSK with a full load of B&B charcoal. I set it up like this: lined the bottom with thin pieces of smoking wood, B&B above that and then poured the hot coals in the middle. I had my Smoke X4 alarms set to 200 and 275. I started at 9:45 pm, and it settled in around 230. I went to bed and the alarm never went off all night. I did wake up a few times and the hottest I saw was 237 and lowest was 229. So from 11 pm to 7:30 am I made zero adjustments. That's impressive performance. And it went nearly 16 hours on that load in the picture below before temps dropped below 200. I see you have had more success lately, but this was by far my best one yet on the WSK. In comparison, in January, I did an overnight brisket on the WSM and had to adjust 2 times over 8 hours or so. Still excellent, but no adjustments > than 2.

20230617_203411303_iOS.jpg20230618_223035331_iOS.jpg

Smoked brisket cooked using the recipe book that came with the WSC.

I tried something new with the coals based on this photograph- not my grill:

View attachment 70610

I also didn’t use any digital thermometers- only the Weber dome thermometer.

Once the grill settled in, I kept between 220-240 degrees for the entire cook without difficulty.

Four hours in the pan to 160 degrees, around 4 more wrapped in foil to 190 degrees.
The brisket was very good.
Did you run that coal setup above to the end to see how long that load of coal lasted?

John, I did my second low and slow a couple weeks back on the WSK with a full load of B&B charcoal. I set it up like this: lined the bottom with thin pieces of smoking wood, B&B above that and then poured the hot coals in the middle. I had my Smoke X4 alarms set to 200 and 275. I started at 9:45 pm, and it settled in around 230. I went to bed and the alarm never went off all night. I did wake up a few times and the hottest I saw was 237 and lowest was 229. So from 11 pm to 7:30 am I made zero adjustments. That's impressive performance. And it went nearly 16 hours on that load in the picture below before temps dropped below 200. I see you have had more success lately, but this was by far my best one yet on the WSK. In comparison, in January, I did an overnight brisket on the WSM and had to adjust 2 times over 8 hours or so. Still excellent, but no adjustments > than 2.

View attachment 73586View attachment 73588
Nice!

Did you run that coal setup above to the end to see how long that load of coal lasted?

I haven’t done that yet. I recently bought a thermo pro temp spike and used it when cooking a brisket, but it comes out with the brisket.

I am trending towards low tech cooking.

Not using a digital thermometer during the cook, only at the end to check if it’s done. I haven’t done an overnight cook yet but will use the temp spike if and when I do.

And the Summit Charcoal holds temperature very well once I get it dialed in properly.

Thanks for the report on your brisket- it looked delicious.

Cheers

Back