the easiest/best prime rib recipe: montreal steak rub

Adam, @225 - 250ish, figure on about 4 hours of cook time plus rest and sear time. Monitor the internal temps closely with a temp probe. IF it looks like the PR is cooking to slowly, ramp up the temp a bit. If too fast, dial it down. Finishing early isn't a problem as the PR can hold for a couple of hours, especially if you are finishing off with a reverse sear. You pull the PR, loosely tent with foil for 10 mins or so to let the temp plateau, then wrap tightly and put in a cooler or a warm oven.

How long about per pound do you estimate it will take at the 225-250 temp to reach around 115-120? If i pull it at the 120 it would be rare then and i would reverse sear over the coals with the bone side down still and sear it untill it reaches 125 and pull it to rest and reach medium rare. Would that sear be too long or short ( to have the roast climb durring sear 5 to 10 degrees from 115-120 to 125-130)? And thanks for the fast response!

Sorry I can't help on the timeframe, whenever I do PR, it's just the Wife and i with noes schedule, we just sit and enjoy cocktails until it's done.
I think your best bet is do it like you're planning, if the sear is getting too dark and you aren't up to temp, take that bad boy off and let it finish in the oven.
That is, if you don't want to bother with shuffling the middle section back on the WSM, personally I don't mind the little bit of hassle.
Don't stress, you'll be just fine.
I do kosher salt, fresh black pepper and a bit of Tony Chachere's for the rub and oak,hickory or maple for smoke

Times for PR aren't based on weight, but rather, by the thickness of the meat. For example, say you have a full 7 bone loin that is 5 inches thick and weighs 16lbs. IF you split off a 3 bone section that is 6 lbs and still 5 inches thick, it will take the same amount of time to cook as the entire 7bone, 16lb loin would take.

An easier way to picture this is to imagine grilling a 1/4 lb hot dog that is 8 inches long. If you cut 3 inches off the end of the dog, would it cook any faster ? Nope. Would still take the same amount of time to cook as the thickness hasn't changed, and that is what governs the cook time (all else being equal).

The 4 hours of cook time I quoted above is to hit about 127ish. Call it 3.5 hours @ 225ish to reach 120ish.

Called in a favor from my favorite butcher and asked him if he could help me out with a little project. Haven't figured out what to call it yet, but anyways....

ribeye_lineup.jpg

This is a whole boneless ribeye cut into individual steaks and laid out in order that they came from the loin. Had hoped that all of them would have the same orientation (same side up, facing the same way, etc), but a couple of them were laid down the wrong way.

At any rate, #1 on the upper right is the first steak cut off the small end (strip end) of the whole ribeye. You can see that the first couple actually kind of look like NY strips. As the cuts progress, you start getting more of the spinalis dorsi (rib cap) and less of the longissimus dorsi (eye). #16 is the last cut of the whole ribeye from the "large end" right next to the chuck primal (and where they cut chuck eye steaks from.

As all the steaks are approximately the same thickness, the middle of the whole ribeye would be between #'s 8 and 9. Also, whole ribeyes have 7 bones, so you can roughly work out what you would get a 2, 3 or 4 bone roast cut from the "small end" or a 2, 3 or 4 bone roast from the "large end".

I did one for New Years. 5.5 lbs boneless. I used fresh ground peppercorn, kosher salt and fresh ground coriander seed. Threw it on the smoker (no smoke wood) and went for 2.5 hours @ about 300. The rub is my go to rub for red meats. Its like steak house rubs. I change it up here and there with a little garlic powder, onion powder, etc.

Back