The Development Log

Yeah sure! How do you think the best way to do this is? like another file openwrt-rpi3.gz.md5.txt / sha256.txt? Do you know of any way to have that automatically appear as the description in the file list (Apache/2.4.18)

I've commonly seen it as $file.gz.(md5|sha1|sha256)

I don't know of an apache config or module that can do it automatically. Do you have shell access to the host this runs on? If so, you could use something like inotify to call md5sum and shasum when new files are uploaded.

I've added md5 and sha256 hashes for all the files and added them as a text/plain mime type so the browser will just display them. I tried adding an .htaccess file to the directory with descriptions but it didn't work, even though AllowOverride Indexes is set. I've spent 30 minutes trying to get it to work and it has made me all mad now.

New snapshot. It is really bothering me that the https://heatermeter.com/dl/ page does not have any way of showing a version or date of the snapshot. Someone needs to come up with a way of labeling them.
  • New RESTful API intro
  • mDNS / Bonjour now displays as HeaterMeter instead of LinkMeter. I might drop the term LinkMeter from all documentation, because who cares if there are two parts? Thoughts?

New snapshot. It is really bothering me that the https://heatermeter.com/dl/ page does not have any way of showing a version or date of the snapshot. Someone needs to come up with a way of labeling them.
  • New RESTful API intro
  • mDNS / Bonjour now displays as HeaterMeter instead of LinkMeter. I might drop the term LinkMeter from all documentation, because who cares if there are two parts? Thoughts?

wasn't the Linkmeter the Linksys and heatermeter combo

The HeaterMeter is the standalone atmega by itself, and LinkMeter is when you attach it to a Linux system. Some people still use the HeaterMeter standalone, but we can probably rename that to HeaterMeter standalone and the full system just be HeaterMeter and I don't think anyone would be confused.

[*] mDNS / Bonjour now displays as HeaterMeter instead of LinkMeter. I might drop the term LinkMeter from all documentation, because who cares if there are two parts? Thoughts?
[/list]

Can you file an RFC for that, Bryan? What's your test schedule & implementation date? :D

Updated snapshots
  • Now pinned to the LEDE 17.01.1 NOT! Release After running 17.01.1 for several days, just after pushing the snapshot I found a critical bug so I am rolling back to follow LEDE master branch, upgrades to Linux 4.9.20
  • Fix rendering of /cgi-bin/luci/lm/light page for non-smartphone browsers
  • Add config option for MSMTP's trust file (filled in by default with our CA certificate bundle)
  • Removed the individual CA certificates, I added this because something needed it at one point but I believe that everything we use can now use a CA bundle. Please let me know if something that uses SSL is no longer working.

I'm still trying to find a way to fix the "Reset config?" not resetting the Pi's configuration. That's my current priority.

I'am working on a project where i locally want to control the heatermeter trough the webinterface via a touchscreen. For this project i need to install some extra packages on the heatermeter image.
I'am using the latest snapshot because i want to use the Raspberry pi zero W.
The problem is that the latest snapshot version (from the download site) does not correspondent with the versions of the packages in the lede repository. So a lot of packages in the repo are not compatible. (Kernel version mismatch)
i need the rndis package for ethernet over usb.
Has anybody got an idea how to approuch this?

Yeah our kernels have more features enabled in them than the stock builds so they will never match. I am trying to plead my case upstream but I'm not sure that will make a difference because the kernel MD5 sums have to match. I'm not sure if the MD5 the config or the kernel itself (which has a build number in it so it will never match). You can almost certainly safely install packages from the main repository by just forcing the dependency override because I do not disable anything from the stock kernel, I just add to it.

I have tried forcing the installation but i keep receiving kernel requirement errors. Is it possible to request packages in the heatermeter build?

Oh I see they updated to Linux 4.9.20 right after I built the snapshot. I've updated our snapshots to match and verified I can load kernel modules from their snapshot repository. I'm not guaranteeing that I will keep our builds in sync with theirs, which means when I go to release we'll stay locked at whatever kernel they are on at the time (and if they update again you'll lose your software repository).

I'd suggest considering setting up your own build environment at some point.

Can you point me in the right direction on hot to creat a clone of the OPKG repository of the current snapshot?

There's some information about building here, however the information is about the last release and not the snapshot:
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/Building-OpenWrt-from-Source

The snapshot is similar but needs a different source, being built on LEDE not OpenWrt. See the top of the install.sh for more information about what to clone to match current snapshot. Also, please start a new thread if you want to continue to discuss this as it is off topic for the dev log thread.

New snapshot available for download, and just like there must be 50 ways to leave your lover, there must be 50 ways to be able to configure HeaterMeter wifi now.

• Any USB mass storage device inserted into the Pi USB ports can contain a config.txt file which will be used to overwrite the on-device wifi config. This is similar to editing the config.txt on the Pi's boot partition, except the values in any mass storage config.txt are not commented out after using them. This means a USB stick with a config.txt can be used to autoconfigure any device on bootup. This is also helpful for people who want to switch back and forth between AP mode and Client mode, just put in different USB sticks which have your preferred wifi mode on them. I am toying with the idea of having the USB config only be temporary, and having it revert back if booted without the mass storage inserted. To make the changes stick, you'd have to go into the webui and use "Save and Apply" from the configuration changes page. This doesn't have to be a full config.txt, just the wifi parameters are used (wifi_ssid, wifi_password, wifi_encryption, wifi_mode, wifi_channel)
  • New LinkMeter -> Wifi page. A streamlined interface to connect to a wireless network, or create an AP network. Just click, enter password, and go.

• Convert to new umdns service, as avahid is deprecated in LEDE. Should fix HeaterMeter not showing up in mdns. I don't have anything that displays mDNS devices so this might need more work? I can't see anywhere where you'd have a "friendly name"
  • Fix issue where heatermeter streaming data was getting buffered in the CGI barrier between LuCI and uhttpd. This was causing the client web page (the home page) to update only every ~5s, and play back multiple data points simultaneously (you'd see the PID output animate between a bunch of positions quickly). You should be back to getting data at worst once every 5 seconds, but at best with a 1s interval. Unfortunately, this relies on the browser cache timing out on the root URL, so even after updating it may take over a week before you'll see this working properly (unless you delete your browser cache). You can tell if you are on the new system if your URL is /luci/lm and not /cgi-bin/luci/lm
  • Fix AP mode possibly not working on Pi3 / ZeroW since last snapshot? Nobody reported this but I don't think it was working because I created a new HeaterMeter with default configuration and it definitely did not boot up into AP mode properly. I guess everyone is using pre-configured firmware? I don't see how it could have possibly worked.
  • Add /lm/api/fw API endpoint. New heatermeter firmware can be POSTed here to flash to the microcontroller.
  • Probe type "Internal" is now called "Thermistor" in the webui to be less confusing.
  • Add Google Project Fi to list of SMS providers.
  • Fix long peak tooltip values on the graph (no more 225.992393245934929).
  • Update to latest LEDE HEAD and a few changes related to that.

So nothing great but more options for wifi configuration and fixing that delay in the streaming data is nice to have working again. Ways to configure wifi:
  • Preconfigured firmware with wifi parameters baked in
  • Editing config.txt on the firmware SD card
  • config.txt on a USB mass storage device
  • LinkMeter -> Wifi quick configuration
  • wifi-client / wifi-ap utility from either SSH or keyboard console or rc.local script
  • LuCI webui for network settings
  • Manually setting configuration with `uci set` calls

Last edited:
Love your work Bryan!

Its a great idea to be able to change the wifi config via an external USB stick! I am using a ZeroW and is a bit of a pain to get the SD card out to edit the config file when needed (I now have twice hit the "default setting" by accident when quickly navigating through the HM's LCD menu, necessitating getting to the SD card. I think my external tactile buttons on my custom enclosure may be a bit noisy at times)

I did attempt to get the AP mode working with my ZeroW a while ago with no luck, but I just assumed it was me being a HM newbie missing something. It was not important to me so I did not reach out for help on this, but will give it a go again tonight at home with your new release.

I did notice the long tooltip values, but I think I only saw that when using Firefox but not with Chrome or IE (I need to double check on this though...)

Thanks again for this great device :)

Ok, had a quick look re the differences with browsers (IE, Edge, Chrome & Firefox) and I found that both Chrome and FF show the peak values in the tooltip, but not Edge and IE.

By the way, what is the meaning of all of the tooltip information: Low peak: 21deg Period: 142s Half:134s -12.3deg and also the High peak. I notice the tooltip only shows these values on certain spots on the graph?

Oh yeah, the AP mode works like a charm now on my ZeroW :)

Just an interesting observation to me; the graph-lines on Edge and IE appears much 'smoother' than with Chr and FF which seems to show more "noise artifacts - I suppose its just how filtering are applied within the browsers or dithering or something?

Today I stocked up on charcoal briquettes and mesquite/hickory chips (imported from USA), can't wait for the big smoke I planned for the weekend to give my HM damper combo its acid test!

81diqVem.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Back