The cold shoulder...

Gary Noles

TVWBB Member
Went to pick up a couple of butts for the smoker this weekend. Everything that was in the cooler was $1.58 on sale, most in the 4 pound range.

I asked the guy working the meat counter if he had anything bigger. Ended up walking out with a 16 pound shoulder for $1.36 a pound.

Now the question... I've done a couple of overnight cooks, any suggestions on a timeline on a piece this big. I saw on an earlier post about a 23 pounder, but not sure if I fall in the definitely foil or bone and roll range.

Let's hear it folks
icon_smile.gif

First thing that popped into my head was cut it in half. It will reduce the cook time and add a bunch of surface area for smoke and bark.

Other than that it looks like it would be a very long cook.

if you halved it i would say roughly 12 to 15 hours at 225. but remember........ its done when its done. go by feel and not so much by temp

My past experience with the big guys in my offset was anywhere from 16 to 20 hours. But like Corey said, go by feel. If you can easily twist or pull a bone out, it's ready!

When I was younger, Dad had a BBQ joint and sold it.

I can remember helping load the smoker with 5-10 of these, but for the life of me couldn't remember what the ballpark was on time. Trust me, I had a stubborn pork butt the other day that went 15... just wouldn't give up. Held at 160, 180, and 192 forever... then poof, the meat went to soft butter.

Thanks for all the help!

I would agree with halving it. If it's too big you'll start to sacrifice the moisture of the exterior meat to finish the interior.

That said, I'd love to do a monster shoulder for 24hrs just to do it.

Enjoy.

Just posting back results...

Apparently my shoulder was a small one because it finished in about 15 hours. Results - kinda split on it. The picnic end was a touch tougher (dryer) than the butt end. The butt end was as good as any of the others that I've done.

What I've learned: find a couple of butts and do them instead of a shoulder... the cut of meat I bought didn't seem to be as of a high quality as what I'm accustomed. You get what you pay for.
icon_smile.gif

I've never smoked one, but supposedly, whole pork shoulders will cook much faster than butts, going by an hr/lb. rule. While a seven pound pork butt might take 2hr/lb. cooking at 225*, I've read that a typical whole shoulder will be closer to 1hr/lb. Of course, different smokers all seem to have their own timeline.

Back