The clay saucer thing...Pics?

Tim Y

TVWBB Fan
I'm interested in trying a clay saucer heat sink instead of water...I've read most of the posts on this, and while they make sense for the most part, it seems different people do it in different ways....I'm slightly confused due to (too much smoke on the brain) the many variations in use.
Does anybody have pictures they can post of their actual set up? A picture speeks a thousand words!! I have a 22.5 WSM. Thanks.

It's been a few years since I used the CS but I'll show you how I did it on a 18.5" WSM.
14.5" water bowl with a 12" saucer.
Here
Saucer in the pan
Saucer and pan foiled together

Tim

Thanks, Timothy. That was what I was picturing in my mind, but wanted to be sure. Went out today and bought a 16" saucer for use on next smoke...will see how it does. I was wanting a bigger saucer, but 16 was the biggest I could find.

That should be fine Tim.
You're saucer is about 2" smaller than you're water pan.. so if we think that all things are equal, than you're pan will work as well as my pan did.
Hope it works for you.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Great photos Tim!
You know what I do, ... after foiling the water pan with the clay inside, during the cook, somehow it sprung a leak and the clay soak up the grease...
SO! now i foil BOTH the clay AND the water tray. Any leaks sit in the foiled clay.
icon_wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_GREY">i lie awake at night thinkin' up stupid sh*t like this all the time </span>
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
It's been a few years since I used the CS but I'll show you how I did it on a 18.5" WSM.
14.5" water bowl with a 12" saucer.
Here
Saucer in the pan
Saucer and pan foiled together

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tim! I wasn't clear on if the saucer fit on top of the rim of the water pan or just inside. Is there a gap between the clay saucer and water pan, or does the saucer sit in the bottom of the water pan?

Thanks for the pics!

16" is fine, the only time I use clay is if the weather is really bad. It has no other function that is noticable. Try the empty foiled pan, the vents act like a dial on a oven!

@ Mike Willis.
I believe the 14" saucer sits up on the rim. The 12" sits lower for more drippings, and does have a gap of a few inches off the bottom. I only used it for my first yr. Since I like to run on the upside of 275deg no heat sink is needed, just an empty foiled pan with an airspace.

Tim

Back