The best part of deboning chicken breasts and thighs

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Is the bone broth stock you can make.

This is six split breasts rib cages and 10 thighs and some chicken skin for fat.

Will rolling simmer this for 3 hours and then separate the solids from the liquids.

The remaining liquid is pure gold.

This is my head start on Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah which starts Friday, Sept 15th at sun down.

You know there’s a big cook coming up. Menu is still being sorted so I can plate up a proper and delicious dinner.

1693451735141.jpeg

I like making my own stock too, yours looks wonderful. I like to cook a whole chicken or two as a meal to begin with and then simmer the carcasses in a pot along with onions, carrots, and celery. I then separate the bones and use an immersion blender on the the veggies and remaining meat. After simmering that for an hour or so I strain everything twice to end up with the best stock you can ask for. I refrigerate it and skim off the fat. It will make the best soup or gravy you ever had guaranteed. Brett, I can't wait to see your finished product.

I used to do this as I used stock all the time a while back....both beef and chicken. Beef was just a whole crock pot of beef bones...full....a splash if cider vinegar and peppercorns.....crock pot on low for about 50 hours, stock is insane good. Chicken is the same but I would use the whole carcass from whole cooked chickens. I like the goodness that comes from the bones...yours is looking tasty, I see the separation.

This is my head start on Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah which starts Friday, Sept 15th at sun down. You know there’s a big cook coming up. Menu is still being sorted so I can plate up a proper and delicious dinner.
That last holiday cook you did was epic, probably one of the greatest cooks on the forum. You set the bar high, so it's your fault you have to go big :)

I like making my own stock too, yours looks wonderful. I like to cook a whole chicken or two as a meal to begin with and then simmer the carcasses in a pot along with onions, carrots, and celery. I then separate the bones and use an immersion blender on the the veggies and remaining meat. After simmering that for an hour or so I strain everything twice to end up with the best stock you can ask for. I refrigerate it and skim off the fat. It will make the best soup or gravy you ever had guaranteed. Brett, I can't wait to see your finished product.
Oh yeah! Your stock is EXTRA! That has to be amazing. I don’t think my Gold here holds a candle to yours. I just made a highly concentrated chicken stock. I consider it “raw” as I haven’t added aromatics yet. When I do, then it moves from a stock to a soup. I did reduce mine substantially to super concentrate the flavor and it takes up less room in the fridge.

I’ll skim the fat layer “schmaltz” and use that fat in other recipes for this dinner cook. Free flavor boost all around and tastier than neutral oil.

I don’t know how many people enjoy a boiled chicken that’s been salted. Cook the breast to 155° F and then remove the bird to a bowl to rest, covered, and that’s some of the best chicken ever.

Like you, I also make what I call a “dirty” soup where I purée the cooked mirepoix into the soup. That creates an amazing soup base for any chicken type soup.

This gold that I made last night will most likely become matzoh ball soup. If I have time this weekend, I might make and freeze some kreplach “Jewish wontons” as my wife has asked for some.

Fall is fast approaching. Now y’all here have a solid base for warmer soups or stews. This gold is so easy to make. Why are you not making any?

Last edited:
I used to do this as I used stock all the time a while back....both beef and chicken. Beef was just a whole crock pot of beef bones...full....a splash if cider vinegar and peppercorns.....crock pot on low for about 50 hours, stock is insane good. Chicken is the same but I would use the whole carcass from whole cooked chickens. I like the goodness that comes from the bones...yours is looking tasty, I see the separation.
Pure gelatinous goodness. Nothing tastes as good as some homemade bone stock; beef and chicken.

That last holiday cook you did was epic, probably one of the greatest cooks on the forum. You set the bar high, so it's your fault you have to go big :)
Hopefully I can exceed the last Passover cook. I think I’m serving 9 the first night and 9 or 11 the second night.

This meal has lots of side salads. Let me know what you think of the arugula, beets, goat cheese and walnuts salad. I think it’s making my menu.

I have wandered.
Using a Costco chicken or two, I have made some pretty good soup.
But I have strayed.
I now make make broth and use about half of it to make arroz con pollo.
I use the entire chicken, minus the breast meat. Bones, skin, meat, and all the spices.
If I am being snarky, I will also add one can of chicken broth, and occasionally some knorr bullion. That broth is really good, and really solid.
The chicken and rice is a fan favorite. I usually have so much that if I do not give most away, we get tired of it and toss half. Freezer space is again your friend.
Only issue is when u make it. Have to account for the long cooking and cooling off time. If scheduled properly, you can make the broth and dish then cool off. Otherwise, cool the broth down and start the next day. This is easier in the cold months, for those that still have them, but a sink of cold water helps get things down fast, and then into refrigerator/freezer.
Let me know if you need arroz con pollo recipe.

This makes a lot of easy comfort food.
Usually friends/rel stop by and pick up some rations.
I get 5 to 8 quarts depending on chicken quantity. Once was 11.
The roasted chicken makes this a breeze.

Back