The BEAST Spins a Chicken

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I finally got around to breaking in the new rotisserie for my Summit Platinum. Just a chicken to keep it simple, I'll work my way up to the whole goat! ;)

Simply seasoned with some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust (fitting?), spitted it up (out of practice, and butcher's twine), and got it spinning with just the two outside burners @ ~375°F. Just for fun, I threw some apple wood chips in the smoke box. I've never used an IR burner, so I followed a Jamie Purviance recipe on weber.com that called for an hour with just the outside burners, then 10-20 minutes with the IR burner on (med) to color it up. Here she was after about 40 minutes:

1650852796454.jpeg

....and a shot with the IR burner on, and close to done.....

1650852821082.jpeg

....carved and plated:

1650852844708.jpeg

The chicken was delicious, though I probably should have taken it off about 5 minutes earlier, as the breast was a touch over done. I was counting on leftovers for some pasta tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any! :)

Rich

Was the skin crispy? There is a whole long rotisserie crispy skin thread if you are interested. Bottom line cook at 450-500 and dry brine works great.

I finally got around to breaking in the new rotisserie for my Summit Platinum. Just a chicken to keep it simple, I'll work my way up to the whole goat! ;)

Simply seasoned with some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust (fitting?), spitted it up (out of practice, and butcher's twine), and got it spinning with just the two outside burners @ ~375°F. Just for fun, I threw some apple wood chips in the smoke box. I've never used an IR burner, so I followed a Jamie Purviance recipe on weber.com that called for an hour with just the outside burners, then 10-20 minutes with the IR burner on (med) to color it up. Here she was after about 40 minutes:

View attachment 49704

....and a shot with the IR burner on, and close to done.....

View attachment 49705

....carved and plated:

View attachment 49706

The chicken was delicious, though I probably should have taken it off about 5 minutes earlier, as the breast was a touch over done. I was counting on leftovers for some pasta tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any! :)

Rich
Looks great Rich!
Miriam polled a 6+ pounder out to that this morning so sounds like chicken will be on our menu tomorrow.

How can it NOT have been good!? Pretty skin, looks moist and ready to go! Great cook!
My only suggestion is go pick up a new cone of butchers twine and tie the errant leg a little more snugly that will help with the drier breast a little, closing cavity access a little more and keeping more mass in contact with the small end of the breast. But, you already know all that. I keep a second smaller ball of twine in a drawer or the “porta Kitchen” for just such emergencies.
Do do another one soon!

Last edited:
Was the skin crispy? There is a whole long rotisserie crispy skin thread if you are interested. Bottom line cook at 450-500 and dry brine works great.
It wasn't uber crispy, but crispy enough. I tend to like chicken for the simplicity of preparation, so not positive that I'll chase crispy skin nirvana through dry brines and such. I did remember that thread, though, tons of good ideas in there! :)

How can it NOT have been good!? Pretty skin, looks moist and ready to go! Great cook!
My only suggestion is go pick up a new cone of butchers twine and tie the errant leg a little more snugly that will help with the drier breast a little, closing cavity access a little more and keeping more mass in contact with the small end of the breast. But, you already know all that. I keep a second smaller ball of twine in a drawer or the “porta Kitchen” for just such emergencies.
Do do another one soon!
Yeah, a new cone of twine is definitely in order! I'll probably do a couple more chickens next week, as we have guests in town. I've also got a rack of pork that may find it's way onto the spit as well! :)

R

A spun rack of pork is a beautiful thing!
Mine was not spun, I went old school straight indirect charcoal.
I’m sure your cook will be wonderful.

Back