The advantage/magic of pellet cookery

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Last night I decided to pull out a small rack of lamb and do it in my Member's Mark. (this is not necessarily a kudos to the MM but to the pellet cooker in general as I am suer it would have worked out no matter the marque on the grill).
Anyway, lots of stuff going on here, what with trying to program cars to the new door opener, and way too many other things, I left it on 210 deg until internal temp went to 90. Then to finish I cranked the MM to 425. And then totally forgot I'd done that. :(
By the time I remembered I had cranked the MM to finishing temp I went out to check horrified to find internal temp closing in on 180! I know the first thing one would think is that rack is garbage fodder. But, I took it off, tented it finished prepping my veg, and we tucked into it.
Yeah it was over done BUT the meat was still succulent, juicy and tender.
There is no way this would have been edible in any other method of cook. I know because I've had to throw away more than couple racks this happened to on gas grills.
I am NOT recommending going out getting a beautiful rack of lamb and cooking it to that level BUT I do feel that pellet cooker saved the day for me

A very memorable feast was a leg o lamb that we let sizzle. Well done for sure. Olive oil and garlic. Disappeared in less than a minute. Not a fan of lamb, but this was great. Still remember it after close to 30 years. No gaminess, ...

Been there done that. Now whenever I make expensive cuts on the smoker I rely on my temp probes and alerts from the app on my phone. I think the convection style of cooking is definitely more forgiving than cooking on a gas grill. Glad to hear you didn't ruin your dinner.

Been there done that. Now whenever I make expensive cuts on the smoker I rely on my temp probes and alerts from the app on my phone. I think the convection style of cooking is definitely more forgiving than cooking on a gas grill. Glad to hear you didn't ruin your dinner.
I did not have my remote probes in it. So totally forgot it thinking it was still going slow. I had the non remote built in probe in it. So was horrified when I went outside and saw the meat temp. I did buy a WIFI controller for that grill, but I have to build a box to accept it as the OEM controller is horizontal and the controller I found is vertical orientation. So, it will be a project I will do come spring.

I don't disagree with what you said, but there are only three methods of heat transfer...convection, conduction, and radiation. Everything we cook outdoors, aside from searing, is done via convection, gas grills included. I think the confusion started when manufacturers started adding fans to ovens and called them convection ovens instead of fan-assisted convection ovens. Technically, all ovens heat via convection.

I don't disagree with what you said, but there are only three methods of heat transfer...convection, conduction, and radiation. Everything we cook outdoors, aside from searing, is done via convection, gas grills included. I think the confusion started when manufacturers started adding fans to ovens and called them convection ovens instead of fan-assisted convection ovens. Technically, all ovens heat via convection.
Technicalities aside. I just find them WAY more forgiving of a mistake than any other form of cooking I have ever done except maybe braising. As I have thrown away plenty of racks of lamb (and other foods) that did not even approach this level of abuse but turned to garbage can fodder.
Now, not saying to "abuse" every protein you throw on a pellet grill but just noting that it's awfully forgiving regardless of what you call it.

Technicalities aside. I just find them WAY more forgiving of a mistake than any other form of cooking I have ever done except maybe braising. As I have thrown away plenty of racks of lamb (and other foods) that did not even approach this level of abuse but turned to garbage can fodder.
Now, not saying to "abuse" every protein you throw on a pellet grill but just noting that it's awfully forgiving regardless of what you call it.
I wasn't going to say anything because convection is just a lot of hot air :D But I agree completely with what is being said here. It's just the thermography training in me that couldn't let it go.

Agree. Some radiation too. As in electric and certain colored pans.

A microwave oven cooks via radiation...microwave radiation. A microwave doesn't heat the air, only the food, by causing the molecules of water to vibrate. You can't heat a room with a microwave.by leaving the oven door open. It's one oven that doesn't cook via heated air. And solar radiation is radiation that warms the skin but not the air, especially on a cold day.

An electric oven still cooks by heating the air. The element will heat you pretty good if you touch it but that is conduction. If you block the element so that it can't radiate it will still heat the air. If you leave the oven door open it will still heat a room.

Last edited:

Back