The 90/9/1 Rule

I think many are simply intimidated by posting something that they are not sure is correct, or just feel they do not have a good enough knowledge to add to the subject...

A classic example of me not feeling like I contribute. I just said the exact same thing you did. But I guess that's my own fault for not reading every post in the thread first... lol

I've been a member here for years, so if you divide the number of posts by the number of years you'll see that I don't post that often. There are several reasons. First, I'm not the most active or experienced bbq'er you'd ever want to meet, so many times I don't have any direct experience with the topic at hand. If I do, I'll contribute. If not, I won't post a lot of baseless speculation (seen on many other boards, though almost never in this one) misrepresented as fact. Second, even if I do, by the time I read a post with a question, oftentimes somebody (or several somebodies) else has already answered it. Third, through decades of experience I have learned to rein in my sense of humor (mostly) because a lot of what I think is funny strikes other people as weird, so I'm careful (mostly) to avoid postings that don't really contribute to the discussion.

That said, I am very comfortable in this forum, due to the lack of (1)baseless speculation presented as fact, (2) posts of the "You're (wrong, stupid, ugly and your mama dresses you funny) because you (don't have the same smoker as I do, don't light your charcoal the same way I do, think that [pork, beef, chicken] is bbq when everyone knows that only [beef, chicken, pork] is real bbq)" type. There are plenty of forums where you can play those silly games if you want to. I don't.

And now, I will cease channeling the spirit of Andy Rooney and go back to reading the forum. ;)

Back