The 2009 WSM water pan doesn't fit in the smoker!

Mike.
Take some pics and call Weber CS. You might of got something completely different than the stock pan. Or Weber might of changed the design after Chris A pics.

Tim

Ok I have an update, and pictures...

Apparently I grossly misjudged the size of my charcoal grate, I think it is the right one as it sits directly below/next to the vents, and it's only slightly larger than the charcoal ring (see picture below).

However I put the water pan inside the smoker and took a picture looking through the panel and it looks enormous - someone tell me, is this the right water pan? It can't be!

charcoalgrate.jpg

waterpan.jpg

Mike that is the right water pan. Also looks like the right charcoal grate also.
In your last picture is the charcoal grate and ring in the bootom section?

It's not in, in the last picture - I still have a load of ash/burnt wood in the bottom of the bowl that I need to dispose of from a couple days ago so the ring/grate are out
icon_smile.gif

When the charcoal grate is in the bottom section does it sit on the leg bolts below the vents?
If it does then I think that you might be putting to much charcoal in the ring. Just put it to the top of the ring, no need to mound it up.

Here is a picture that ChrisP took of his set-up. Does yours look something like this.

charcoalring.jpg

I have the 2009 18.5" WSM, and it has the big, deep H2O pan. I cooked over 16 hours (butts followed by beans) on it last weekend w/o refilling the H20. Still had a bit left too.

I filled my charcoal ring like in the pic above on the few cooks I've done, and no problem fitting it together. Maybe you were just too generous on the charcoal and went above the ring.

Interesting - of course I would like to say I didn't fill the charcoal ring too high but maybe I did since I don't have any pictures of right after I filled it. I want to say I had it level with the top of the ring (but it appears I may be wrong).

I do like the shape of the brinkmann charcoal pan better than the weber water pan so I might just continue using that, or buy a second one and connect them together to do the waterless method. I heard that if the pan is too close to the charcoal it can make it tougher for the charcoal to heat up and burn though I'm not sure if this is true or not!

Regardless, I really appreciate the help everyone has given so far! I will post an update after my next smoke, hopefully in the next couple weeks
icon_smile.gif

No, that is the correct water pan as the one for the 22" is flat on the bottom. I haven't had the problem of the water pan sitting on the fuel and I still think that too much charcoal was used.

Back