That trivet thingie is pretty slick

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
So I picked up a heavy-duty cooling rack to try to do some indirect cooking on my CL Q-200.
AWTs were my first attempt.
awt2_zps58620492.jpg

This a recipe I "borrowed from a restaurant on South Padre Island, Texas. Cap'n Dan's restaurant uses fresh shrimp, pineapple cream cheese and barbecue sauce to turn out a pretty spectacular variation of an ABT.
I whipped up this batch to accompany our afternoon college viewing.
awt_zps63d553ba.jpg

Hi guys, just saw this post so I thought that I would add a bit to it. In Australia I have been using the trivet for nearly 9 years, Weber Australia sell a purpose built one. The one that Richard shows has feet that will fall in the cracks, to overcome that problem just roll up four balls of foil to about 25 - 30 mm (1") or so and sit the trivet/rack on that.
I found that doing dishes like butterflied leg of lamb, spatchcocked chicken, chicken Maryland pieces an the like, I sit the meat on the trivet without the foil underneath, this reduces the amount of charing and I can cook at a higher temp.

When I am cooking marinated meat with a high sugar content I use the trivet either with the foil underneath or without depending on the temp I am going to cook at, the type of marinade and the finish I want.

Cheers

Phil

Ah South Padre. The mention of the name brings back so many memories. ...but I'm married now -- 20+ yrs -- so there will be no talk of Padre. That is a cool variation on ABT(s).

Back