Thanks for the inspiration! my first overnighter

Hung Ly

I've seen 3 or 4 first overnight cooks on there in the past couple of weeks and they amped me up to tackle my first overnight cook. I picked up two 5.5lb bone in pork shoulders at Safeway for $1.99/lb, total of about $22. I used the BRITU rub on one (right) and Butt Rub on the other (left):
IMAGE_8EE5FA0B-F6BB-4E03-87C5-6FAEDF51F353.JPG

They went on my 18.5" around 10PM, which was fired up using the MM and pecan + apple chunks.

IMAGE_60718FC9-3A67-4B01-B050-5666D128DC49.JPG

I checked my remotes around 4AM and the WSM was in the zone at around 260* and meat at 163*. Back to sleep, but when I checked again at 7AM, the WSM had used up all the fuel and dropped to 150*. Meat was also at 150* and I don't know how long. I fired up a full chimney of KBB and refueled. I also took that time to baste with a mixture of the rub + apple juice. Re-assembled the WSM and topped off the water bowl with HOT water (it was down about 1/2). Cooker jumped up to about 320* and leveled out around 280* for the rest of the cook, 3 more hours until the butts got to 200*.

Right off the grill:
IMAGE_6FAAAE53-634A-48D0-9230-9D1FC6029BEC.JPG

IMAGE_4DD39F4B-F0BF-46FC-B7F1-5201A9A1B97A.JPG

Foiled and rested for about 5 hours. Might have gotten a little dry with the long rest, so I added a little hot apple juice to the meat while I was piling it up in a pan.

People started coming over while I was pulling the pork, so I forgot to take pics. of the final product. But I paired the BRITU pork with the Carolina Red sauce and the Butt Rub pork with the sweeter Old Mule sauce. Next time trying Steve's No. 5 sauce....

With the cole slaw I made and some bread and butter pickle chips, I ended up with ten people in food comas. And a small pile of leftovers.

I'm just getting started with my smoker, but I've already been so inspired by everything you guys are doing- thanks everyone!

Is anyone using an 18.5" able to keep it going for 12 or more hours? I'd appreciate some advice on that.

Trying to give back by sharing this coleslaw recipe I've been using from Epicurious

Classic Coleslaw Dressing

2/3 cup mayonnaise- light mayo works great
1/4 cup minced onion
3 tablespoons minced dill pickle (Clausen pickles work great)
2 tablespoons pickle brine
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish or substitute some creamy horseradish for some of the mayo
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds- optional
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl to blend. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.

Slowly combine with slaw veggies- don't feel the need to use all the dressing if you don't want a soggy slaw.

Let slaw sit in fridge for at least 2 hrs.

Nice job. And thanks for the slaw recipe! I've never thought to use chopped pickle or the brine in it. I also use dijon mustard instead of the horseradish, but I'm gonna try this recipe soon!

I've seen 3 or 4 first overnight cooks on there in the past couple of weeks and they amped me up to tackle my first overnight cook. I picked up two 5.5lb bone in pork shoulders at Safeway for $1.99/lb, total of about $22. I used the BRITU rub on one (right) and Butt Rub on the other (left):
IMAGE_8EE5FA0B-F6BB-4E03-87C5-6FAEDF51F353.JPG

They went on my 18.5" around 10PM, which was fired up using the MM and pecan + apple chunks.

IMAGE_60718FC9-3A67-4B01-B050-5666D128DC49.JPG

I checked my remotes around 4AM and the WSM was in the zone at around 260* and meat at 163*. Back to sleep, but when I checked again at 7AM, the WSM had used up all the fuel and dropped to 150*. Meat was also at 150* and I don't know how long. I fired up a full chimney of KBB and refueled. I also took that time to baste with a mixture of the rub + apple juice. Re-assembled the WSM and topped off the water bowl with HOT water (it was down about 1/2). Cooker jumped up to about 320* and leveled out around 280* for the rest of the cook, 3 more hours until the butts got to 200*.

Right off the grill:
IMAGE_6FAAAE53-634A-48D0-9230-9D1FC6029BEC.JPG

IMAGE_4DD39F4B-F0BF-46FC-B7F1-5201A9A1B97A.JPG

Foiled and rested for about 5 hours. Might have gotten a little dry with the long rest, so I added a little hot apple juice to the meat while I was piling it up in a pan.

People started coming over while I was pulling the pork, so I forgot to take pics. of the final product. But I paired the BRITU pork with the Carolina Red sauce and the Butt Rub pork with the sweeter Old Mule sauce. Next time trying Steve's No. 5 sauce....

With the cole slaw I made and some bread and butter pickle chips, I ended up with ten people in food comas. And a small pile of leftovers.

I'm just getting started with my smoker, but I've already been so inspired by everything you guys are doing- thanks everyone!

Is anyone using an 18.5" able to keep it going for 12 or more hours? I'd appreciate some advice on that.

The water in the pan is most likely the problem. Try just foiling the pan and not putting any water in it. Even better buy a 14" clay flower pot base and foil it too and put it in the top of the pan. I got mine at Home Depot. Lowe's did not have the 14". It serves as a heat regulator and will extend cooking time. Your pork looks great. Also thanks for the cole slaw recipe.

Hi Hung
I can get well over 12 hours in my WSM 18.5, but I use the BBQ Guru to control the temp. I love it. I bought it about a year after getting my WSM and wouldn't smoke without it. with it I can easily get 16 hours out of a full load of Kingsford using the minion method. I highly recommend getting an automatic temp control.
Your pork looks great!

I can get 12 to 14 hours on the 18.5 and I use water. When you fill the charcoal ring and it looks full put more in when that looks full put more in. The rings holds way more than you think. Also vents are very important and should be monitored before going to bed. When it is time to go to bed put some more charcoal in and top the water off.

I can get 12 to 14 hours on the 18.5 and I use water. When you fill the charcoal ring and it looks full put more in when that looks full put more in. The rings holds way more than you think...

I certainly agree....as long as you have a pre '09 wsm or have replaced the 'water pan with a Brinkman charcoal pan or something else.

Your cook looks mighty good, having lost temperature, you recovered and did well. The pictures say a lot more than words can say. :wsm:

Back