Thai Lamb recipes?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have a small leg of lamb(can't remember how big)in the freezer. I'm in the mood for Thai or some kind of oriental flavor. Anyone have a Thai or other far east marinade for the lamb? I intend to do it on the Genesis with a rotisserie.

4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced

2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger

2 tablespoons palm or brown sugar

2 tablespoons nam pla

1 tablespoon palm, coconut, or rice vinegar

3 tablespoons sesame oil (regular, not toasted)

3 tablespoons lime juice

1 teaspoon grated lime zest

3 tablespoons Thai chili sauce

4 tablespoons minced cilantro

1 small fresh red chili (Thai or African bird - or a ripe serrano or half a ripe jal), stemmed, seeded and finely chopped

3 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, for serving

Combine all but the sesame seeds in a bowl. Pour half into a container, cover, reserve in fridge.

Bone the lamb, remove the fell and any substantial surface fat then either pierce all over with a thin. sharp-tipped knife or cube for kebabs. Place the meat in a Ziploc and add the marinade, distribute well, then fridge (2 hours for cubes, 4 for boned leg).

Cook as you'd like then plate, sprinkling each portion with the toasted sesame seeds; serve the reserved marinade on the side as a dipping sauce.

This looks delish Kevin. Dave, I've seen a great Indian recipe by Madur Jaffrey for leg of lamb with yogurt, ginger, garlic, chilies, ground almonds. I made this some years ago and it was great, delicious and tender. Wait, here it is:

Raan Masaledar From "Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery" ISBN 0-563-16491-3

You need to buy a 5 lb (2kg) leg of lamb. Get the butcher to remove the H bone and to make a deep pocket to hold a stuffing. (You will not actually stuff the leg but most butchers seem to understand 'stuffing' better than they do 'spice paste'.) Also, ask the butcher to cut the protruding leg bone as close to the end of the meat as possible. This is to enable you to fit it into your baking pan easily. Ask the butcher to remove all the fat on the outside of the leg as well as the parchment like skin. (You could, of course, do this yourself.)

For baking, you need a pan large enough to hold the leg easily and about 2—2 ½ inches (5—6cm) deep to hold the sauce. Ideally, the pan should have a lid but you can use aluminium foil instead. Pyrex and stainless steel baking pans are best as they do not affect the taste of the sauce.

Serves 4—6:

A 5 lb (2.25kg) leg of lamb, trimmed (see above)
For the sauce:

2 oz (50g) blanched almonds
½ lb (225g) onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled
Four 1 inch (2.5cm) cubes of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
4 fresh hot green chillies, coarsely chopped
20 fl oz (570m1) plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons ground cumin seeds
4 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon garam masala
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon whole cloves
16 cardamom pods
A 2 inch (5cm) stick of cinnamon
10 black peppercorns
For garnishing:

4 tablespoons sultanas oz (iog) blanched, split or slivered almonds
Make sure that all the fat has been trimmed from the outside of the leg and that most of the fell (parchment-like white skin) has been pulled off. Put the leg in a baking dish made, preferably, of pyrex or stainless steel.

Put the 2 oz (50g) almonds, onions, garlic, ginger, green chillies, and 3 tablespoons of the yoghurt into the container of a food processor or blender and blend until you have a paste.

Put the remaining yoghurt into a bowl. Beat lightly with a fork or a whisk until it is smooth and creamy. Add the paste from the processor, the cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, and garam masala. Mix.

Push some of the spice paste into all the openings in the lamb. Be quite generous about this. Spread the paste evenly on the underside of the leg (the side that originally had less fat). Now, using a small, sharp, pointed knife (such as a paring knife), make deep slashes in the meat and push in the spice paste with your fingers. Turn the leg over so its outer side (the side that was once covered with fat) is on top. Spread a very thick layer of paste over it. Again, make deep slashes with the knife and push the spice paste into the slashes. Pour all the remaining spice paste over and around the meat. Cover with plastic cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Take the baking dish with the meat out of the refrigerator and let the meat come to room temperature. Remove the cling film. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium flame. When hot, put in the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns. When the cloves swell — this just takes a few seconds — pour the hot oil and spices over the leg of lamb.

Preheat oven to gas mark 6, 4000F (2000C).

Cover the baking dish tightly either with its own lid or with a large piece of aluminium foil. Bake, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Baste 3—4 times with the sauce during this period. Scatter, or arrange in a pattern, the sultanas and the ½ oz (15g) almonds over the top of the leg and bake for another 5—6 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it sit in a warm place for 15 minutes. Take the leg out of the pan and set it on a warm platter. Spoon off all the fat from the top of the sauce. Use a slotted spoon and fish out all the whole spices in the sauce. Discard the spices. Pour the sauce around the leg.

That's just what I was looking for. Both look really good but I think I'll use Kevin's this time. One question Kevin. I have everything but nam pla. What is it and can I use a substitute?

Love Jaffrey. (She has an interesting bio as well and worth reading.)

Dave-- Nam pla (Vietnamese: nuoc mam) is fish sauce. Most supermarkets carry it in their 'Thai' section. And you can definitely get it at WF. Just get a small bottle, if available. It lasts, but unless you're frequently cooking Thai or Vietnamese you won't go through it quickly.

If you absolutely need to sub use Worcestershire. Not the same thing but the profile wold work (and it does contain some fish flavor).

Thanks Kevin, after moving some bottles around in the cabinet I found a new bottle of fish sauce. I guess my wife bought it so I'm good to go. Can't wait to try it. I love lamb.

Back